Ich Options

fulcrum

Things were going too smoothly. I set up a 14 gal nano, its been running very well for a little over a month. Mini cycle occured quickly, but I did use live sand, rock from established tanks and "purified ocean water" (for what its worth I know there is plenty of debate over the usefulness of this product, but its done well for me over the years). I have since done a major water change.
I have placed a couple of corals (cheap and small.....but they are present). And a couple of small black ocellaris clowns. I have checked the water every other day since the cycle, and frankly I have never had a tank with water conditions this good so early. So far optimum conditions Ammonnia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <5ppm, pH 8.1-8.2 (has drifted a little...but come on).
Well yesterday I came into my office and everything looked fine. When the lights came on, however, I realized my clowns were covered in Ich (I am 99% sure). From nothing the day before to total covering of little salt sized grains.
Here's the twist....I had to leave town for 2 days, and thanks to tropical storm Fay, my office is closed anyway...so I gave the clowns a 4 minute freshwater dip and hoped for the best.
When I am able to get back in there on saturday I'm worried I'm going to find two dead fish. Does ich kill that quickly? I tested water again and the parameters are still perfect, so hopefully the dip will give them a little relief until I can get back.
I cant hypo the tank or treat with copper due to the cleaner shrimp and corals. I suppose I can continue to dip the fish and feed them garlic, but is that realistic?
If I lose the clowns, how long do I have to wait before adding more fish (I know there is a lifecycle which ich will die off without a host)? I assume the corals are not affected?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by fulcrum
http:///forum/post/2729591
Things were going too smoothly. I set up a 14 gal nano, its been running very well for a little over a month. Mini cycle occured quickly, but I did use live sand, rock from established tanks and "purified ocean water" (for what its worth I know there is plenty of debate over the usefulness of this product, but its done well for me over the years). I have since done a major water change.
I have placed a couple of corals (cheap and small.....but they are present). And a couple of small black ocellaris clowns. I have checked the water every other day since the cycle, and frankly I have never had a tank with water conditions this good so early. So far optimum conditions Ammonnia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <5ppm, pH 8.1-8.2 (has drifted a little...but come on).
Well yesterday I came into my office and everything looked fine. When the lights came on, however, I realized my clowns were covered in Ich (I am 99% sure). From nothing the day before to total covering of little salt sized grains.
Here's the twist....I had to leave town for 2 days, and thanks to tropical storm Fay, my office is closed anyway...so I gave the clowns a 4 minute freshwater dip and hoped for the best.
When I am able to get back in there on saturday I'm worried I'm going to find two dead fish. Does ich kill that quickly? I tested water again and the parameters are still perfect, so hopefully the dip will give them a little relief until I can get back.
I cant hypo the tank or treat with copper due to the cleaner shrimp and corals. I suppose I can continue to dip the fish and feed them garlic, but is that realistic? It has been done and people report sucess although it doesnt rid your tank of the parasite,it just helps it from infecting your fish to unhealthy levels.
If I lose the clowns, how long do I have to wait before adding more fish 6 weeks minimum, IMO 8 is best(I know there is a lifecycle which ich will die off without a host)? Yes I assume the corals are not affected?Correct

Hypo salinity is one of the milder proven methods of killing the parasite, copper is also a viable choice. However, IMO the time line varies and in some instances 6 weeks isnt enough. IMO Ich is a very hardy parasite and although the methods proven to get rid of it do work. It does not have a 100% success rate...

fulcrum

What about the timeline for the fish? If the first appearence of ich was yesterday (albeit severe) am I going to find two dead fish on saturday?
I have been keeping saltwater tanks for years, and have only had VERY mild encouters with ich in the past. Garlic and kick ich have taken care of things before.
These fish sit on my desk at work. I have been watching them intently for days. They were spotless the day before yesterday. Is there anything indicated by how fast this attack occured?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by fulcrum
http:///forum/post/2729605
What about the timeline for the fish? If the first appearence of ich was yesterday (albeit severe) am I going to find two dead fish on saturday?
I have been keeping saltwater tanks for years, and have only had VERY mild encouters with ich in the past. Garlic and kick ich have taken care of things before.
These fish sit on my desk at work. I have been watching them intently for days. They were spotless the day before yesterday. Is there anything indicated by how fast this attack occured?
Unfortunately I cannot answer that...I do not have enough experience to give you a best guess... I can tell you that my TP had it that severe once and didnt make it. but the circumstances were completely different. It being my first time and all I did hypo and I know I messed some things up. Sorry I wish I could be more help.

meeks101

That's what happend to one of my clowns my soon to be female got white dots on her I thought she was fine. Then she started eating less. When I got back from my three day vacation she had dissapeared. Pressumably died.

fulcrum

I had some friends go to my office today and do what they could. They fed garlic soaked food and added kick ich. They said their appetite was great and the fish were very active, but not breathing heavy. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm hopeful they will be alive when I return and I can do a little more.
Would hate to lose them. They are gorgeous jet black clowns. Not a speck of orange. (unfortunately lots of white specks right now).