ich or not?

J

jefnmichele

Clown fish came from *****, big mistake. Day or two later he had some white spots on him. 2 days later, he didnt. Hippo tang and Powder brown now have some spots, but heres the strange part.
Wife looks at them in the morning and they didnt have a spot on them. I look at the fish later in the day, a few spots, maybe 3 or 4 on each side.
Next day, wife looks at them in the morning no spots, later in the day, no spots, i get home at 5:30 and they each have a few spots on them.
If it is ich, then it should very well last more that a few hours a day, shouldnt it?
Is there some parisite that I havent found yet? I can get some pics, but its kinda tough not knowing when they are going to show spots. Water params are good, only nitrates 10, nothing elsse out of specs.
Driving me crazy

wfd1008

here's the question i have for you, "What else do you have in the tank?" I'm no expert, and they could probably answer this , but i would think that if you have fish only, maybe you could treat the whole tank with hypo. if you have crabs, snails and shrimp, then maybe you could remove those and put them into a holding tank since they are easier to catch and treat your display tank? i don't know, just spitting that idea out there, maybe one of the experts will chime in now.

ccampbell57

It is ich. Your other fish are healthy and are trying to fight off the parasite. The fact that the symptoms show tells me that it is just a matter of time.
I would do a preventative QT on them and get them into Hypo

J

jefnmichele

with all the parisites out there , how can you say "it is ich". I have never seen ich show for a few hours then clear, on a daily basis. I was wondering more if anyone knows of a different parisite that only hangs on for a few hours. I have sugar size sand. Why cant it be a couple small sand specs?

al mc

It can be sand, but Ich also will appear to be reduced or even gone, then reappear all in the same 24 hour period because only a short part of the life cycle is actually spent on the fish. Possibility of a picture?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Jefnmichele
http:///forum/post/2538643
with all the parisites out there , how can you say "it is ich". I have never seen ich show for a few hours then clear, on a daily basis. I was wondering more if anyone knows of a different parisite that only hangs on for a few hours. I have sugar size sand. Why cant it be a couple small sand specs?

I was thinking sand when I read this. Sand will stick to the slime coat of a new or stressed fish. However, ich is known to come and go. If the fish is healthy then he would fight the parasites, which would account for the on again/ off again spots. If I read this correctly, the new fish is not the one showing ich, it is the tang that was already in there. Tangs are very susceptible to ich. If the fish brought parasites into the tank then each one has multiplied by hundreds by now. The next time that you see spots try to get a good look at them with a magnifying glass. Sand grains are irregular shaped. Ich is round and smooth.

phelpz

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2538669
Are you ready to treat them?
My other tank should be almost done cycling. I couldnt imagine it taking anymore than a week. I should test the water right now actually. I probably should have waited to add 12lbs of rock, and getting it all awesome looking..... Oh well. I think I'm going to try the plastic bottle trap on them. Or food in the net.
The royal gramma hasnt been so spotty til the last day or so. The other fish still seem to not have any spots. I will still treat them too. Just in case. I dont want it coming back.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by phelpz
http:///forum/post/2538681
My other tank should be almost done cycling. I couldnt imagine it taking anymore than a week. I should test the water right now actually. I probably should have waited to add 12lbs of rock, and getting it all awesome looking..... Oh well. I think I'm going to try the plastic bottle trap on them. Or food in the net.
The royal gramma hasnt been so spotty til the last day or so. The other fish still seem to not have any spots. I will still treat them too. Just in case. I dont want it coming back.
Yes, you should most definitely treat them all. Let us know how it goes, or if you need any help.

J

jefnmichele

Hmm, well, looks like I should set up a QT and get the treatment going. I had up to this pint never seen Ich change over the course of a couple hours. Usually it was a few days then they would fall off.
With all the money I just spent getting this tank up and running, its going to be tough getting a QT tank set up.
Tried to get some pics, but as soon as I started the goby chose to get to work, with all the sand in the water it looks like Christmas.