Ich question---1st time icher...

ol'salty

I just noticed my fish have ich. It is a 55 gal with about 75 lbs of lr and cc. I have a yellow tang, false perc, bangai, flame angel, and mandarin. All the fish except the bangai have little white spots (like sugar grains) on them. The tang is theonly one that you can see spots on his body, the rest are just on the other fishes fins. I know i am going to have to go hypo to fix this. My main question is, about the qt. I have a 20 high not in use. The 55 has a fluval 303, a skilter 400, and 3 power heads. Can i bring the skilter over to the 20 so i don't have to worry as much about a cycle? Will the dt be allright for the 4-6 weeks without the skimmer? Will the skimmer be more beneficial to the 20? I can wither use the fluval or the skimmer, so what do you guys and gals recommend? I won't be able to start this until tomorrow, so i am open to suggestions. Also, what about the mandarin in hypo? Should i place a piece of lr in the qt knowing it will become base rock? Thanks in advance...

ol'salty

I also have a cleaner shrimp, a missing cbs (only see him once in a blue moon), 2 red legged hermits, and 5 turbo snails...in case you need to know this.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ol'salty
I just noticed my fish have ich. It is a 55 gal with about 75 lbs of lr and cc. I have a yellow tang, false perc, bangai, flame angel, and mandarin. All the fish except the bangai have little white spots (like sugar grains) on them. The tang is theonly one that you can see spots on his body, the rest are just on the other fishes fins. I know i am going to have to go hypo to fix this. My main question is, about the qt. I have a 20 high not in use. The 55 has a fluval 303, a skilter 400, and 3 power heads. Can i bring the skilter over to the 20 so i don't have to worry as much about a cycle? Will the dt be allright for the 4-6 weeks without the skimmer? Will the skimmer be more beneficial to the 20? I can wither use the fluval or the skimmer, so what do you guys and gals recommend? I won't be able to start this until tomorrow, so i am open to suggestions. Also, what about the mandarin in hypo? Should i place a piece of lr in the qt knowing it will become base rock? Thanks in advance...
You best bet is to move the rocks and inverts into a rubbermaid tub and hypo the display.

ol'salty

The only problem i see with that is that i have a large population of pods in the cc. And i really don't have room for a "tub" right now. Just wondering, why not move the fish into the 20 high?

lion_crazz

The mandarin does not need to be hypoed. They cannot host ich, so you will leave that in the display.
I would take one of the filters and move it over to the 20. Whichever has some pads or biological filtration, move that filter to the quarantine. Hypo all fish (but the mandarin) in the 20 for the 4 to 6 weeks, while leaving the display fishless.

ol'salty

thanks ... I will throw the skilter on it and we will see what happens. Both filters have media in them, this one is just easier to move...