Ich question

lionguy

Ive read much about ich here on the site. Just had an outbreak. Dont know where it came from but I didn't do the things I should have to prevent like I should have when I set up the tank. lesson learned the hard way, never again... anyway. I have 4 fish in the tank, 2 lions and 2 black damsels. Was gone for a few days and salinity jumped and stress out everything and now my larger lion is covered in ich. other 3 seem to be free of it. for now. Currently setting up QT tank for all fish and they are going in in a few hours. going to do hypo salinity. My question is, for my lion that has it bad, Ive read people mentioning doing a fresh water dip on the fish to get them mostly pest free (not a cure I know) but I have not been able to find any more info other than it being mentioned. is this something that I can/should do just to clear what he has on him? if so what does the process involve. Also thinking about medicating too but still reading and haven't decided on whether I want to put anything else in with the fish. But for sure they are getting a QT since I don't want to lose my corals.
Also, starfish, they don't host ich right? so they should be fine to stay in DT correct?

aquaman

I do not think Star fish can get ich, they do not have a slime coat, which is where the ich infest for the most part. Eitherway a SF will not survive hypo, so do not try.

lionguy

on a side note. I told my son that the fish were sick and had parasites and how we had to move them to their own tank. he then asked if the snails had to go too (they're "his" snails). I told him no, only fish that swim get ich and the SF,snails, and anemone were ok to stay in there. he then asked, "what if we had a clown fish and he was living in the anemone? would he get ich too?" this coming from a 6 year old. I found it funny that he would think to ask that, but also made me wonder. would the anemone "sting" the ich off since the clown is always in it? or would the clown still get it?

aquaman

The clown would still get it, and if it gets bad enough the anemone may sting the clown. As the ich gets worst the fish scratch against things to try to get rid of them, it does not work, but removes some slime. It is this slime coat on the clown that protects it from its host. It is not know if it keeps them from being stung or if the anemone just does not know they are there. It is interesting to read about this phenomenon

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, anemones will not effect ich, as ich has a protective coating (the white encasing that we can see on fish) that protects it--including protecting it from meds. It is only when the parasite is off the fish, that ich is vulnerable, or if picked off the fish by an aggressive cleaner (cleaner wrasse).
Ich can be carried on any hard surface, including hard rock and the shells of snails.