ich still in tank??

jcarroll

I bought two new clownfish and they both died after 3 days. They appear to have had ich the morning of their deaths. If I'm correct and it was in fact ich, I took them out right away, so is there still a possibility that the ich could still be in my tank? There are no other fish in there, just inverts

wrongmove

As far as I know once ich had got in your tank it will remain there as long as there are fish to host. Even if the clowns were only in there for a short time chances are at least a small protion of the parasite could be in your tank. If there are no fish in there at the moment I would wait 6 weeks or so before adding a fish. If it is at all possible you should try to set up a quarentine tank and watch any new additions to your tank in there before adding them to the display. Doing that makes it easier to treat the new fish and keeps the risk of ich getting into your display system to a minimum.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by WrongMove
As far as I know once ich had got in your tank it will remain there as long as there are fish to host. Even if the clowns were only in there for a short time chances are at least a small protion of the parasite could be in your tank. If there are no fish in there at the moment I would wait 6 weeks
or so before adding a fish. If it is at all possible you should try to set up a quarentine tank and watch any new additions to your tank in there before adding them to the display. Doing that makes it easier to treat the new fish and keeps the risk of ich getting into your display system to a minimum.
I agree, both on the QT and on waiting 6 weeks to add any new fish.