Ich?

chuckstr

One of my two fish in a 75 gal fish, live rock, inverts. has ich.
QT tank is cycling.
What can I do if anything since the QT tank is cycling?

chuckstr

The 75 gallon tank has been up and running for 2 1/2 months now. Amonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-20, PH 8.2,
Doing a 20 gallon water change tomorrow to try and bring down the nitrates.
The fish with the ich on is (Royal Gramma) has been in the tank for approx. 3 weeks. The other fish (clown) has been in the tank about 6 weeks.

unleashed

did you add substrate the the qt? if so the best thing you can whether did or not.empty the qt remove substrate if its in there add water from your main tank do a water change on main b4 adding it to the qt make sure all levels are good then add the fish no acclimation time is nesseary for this method(less stress) treat fish how ever you you plan be it hypo or medication. i prefer coppersafe as a treatment others prefer hypo or other medications such as cupramine ,copper. other types for this paresite.but you cannot treat in main tank its too new of a system and cannot withstand the treatments it will cause too much of an imbalence to your biological filteration IMO

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is a 10 gal QT big enough for your fish for a month?
Coppersafe is not the best choice for copper. The best choice for copper is Seachem's Cupramine, using Seachem's copper test kits. In any case, using any copper in a new QT would be a mistake since copper will kill off a good portion of the biofilter you are trying to develop. In the case of ich, hyposalinity is a non-medication alternative which is equally effective without the harsh side-effects of copper. Medications should be reserved for when you absolutely must use them so that resilient strains of pathogen do not develop.
Why does a new tank have nitrates?? How is your tank set up?

chuckstr

I don't know why it has nitrates, wish I did.
Setup: 2"-3" sand, approx. 90 pounds live rock, sump w/ bioballs, skimmer in the sump (seaclone) doesn't seem to produce much waist, mag 9.5 pump, and (2) maxijet 1200.
stock: 10 turbo snails, 8 snails that go under the sand, 10 hermit crabs, 4 emerald crabs, clown fish, royal gramma, and mushrooms.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The bioballs is the likely culprit. Is that a wet-dry setup?
What is the grain size of that sand?

abethedog

My Hypo/Qt
It is just a simple eclipse system. They've been in for 2 weeks. Just 4 to go. Check your water very frequently. My fish have been very happy and active after the first couple of days. I had a reoccurance of ich 2 weeks into. Very small, though. Hypo is 1.090.

chuckstr

I have a megaflow sump filtration system by all glass aquariums. The water goes down the overflow into the sump.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Bethdog, you don't need to keep fish in hypo for 6 wks. Is there a reason you are going this length of time?

abethedog

Another poster (a lot of posts and I've read his before) told me to. I'ld love to get those guys back into the display. I'm using garlic and they are in hypo for 2 full weeks now. I did see one reoccurance of ich (

[hr]
parasites :mad: ). I'm currently following your directions on your informational. They seem very active, eat, happy in the qt. But, with two large tangs in a 10 gallon (seaweed, garlic) I probably switch out 5 gallons twice a week. I don't mind, but it is a pain in the (donkey). 3 Weeks? 4 weeks?
Sorry to hijack the thread but this is probably informational to you, though.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
bethdog, you want to do hypo for 3 wks after all signs of ich has disappeared. Count the beginning of hypo from the day you actually get down to the correct salinity/specific gravity, and the time fish are in hypo from the day there are no more spots.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Chuck, once you introduce ich into your system, it is there for all fish. What is the water conditions in your QT? You will need to QT these fish and treat them using hyposalinity. Do you have a refractometer? Or a high grade glass hydrometer?

1911_guy

Originally Posted by Beth
You will need to QT these fish and treat them using hyposalinity. Do you have a refractometer? Or a high grade glass hydrometer?
What is hypo, hyposalinity???
I'm putting together a QT right now...one of my fish has ich. Thanks