ich

deadfish11

flame angel and yellow seem to have ich but im not sure because it might be sand stuck on it and i think its white spots. but anyways, does anybody know a way to treat this even with inverts inside?

jbyrd

Good luck treating them for the ich with the other inverts in with them. I've lost everything twice now do to ich. I tried a Reef Safe product once and all it did was kill my fish faster I think. Everyone here says QT is the best way and perform a Hypo. I like what LazyPinoy says thought about the UV because I ordered on 2 days ago Drs. Foster Smith. Red Tag Sale!!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by deadfish11
so do u mean that i should pour the garlic juice with my fish food and then pour it into my tank?
Garlic does not kill ich, it helps build the fish's immune system so they can fight diseases. Quarentine is something that should be done before a new fish is introduced into your main display to ensure that they are disease free before they infect your whole system. The ich is already in your tank so now you have two options. You can remove all of your inverts into a temporary home and perform hyposalinity on the main tank, or you can remove your fish to a separate tank and treat them while letting your display run fishless for 6 weeks. You cannot treat either way with your fish and inverts together in the same tank. Remember that ich is an invertebrate so anything that is going to kill it is also going to kill your desired inverts (snails, crabs, rock, etc.)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the garlic theory for ich is that the parasite is actually repelled by the garlic, and, of course, a stronger immune system is plus as well.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Beth
Actually, the garlic theory for ich is that the parasite is actually repelled by the garlic, and, of course, a stronger immune system is plus as well.
I agree with you beth. I have seen alot of people on here (mainly in the new hobbiest thread) under the impression that garlic actually kills the ich.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Like many more believe that hypo and copper will kill ich while the parasite is attached to the fish. Or even that ich is cured because it is no longer on the fish. Many, many unfortunately misconceptions in this hobby.
Alas, we have all made many mistakes due to misconceptions.

lazypinoy

just wanted to give u a visual of my sucess...well if ur fish are in ur DT and you have live rocks placed and dont want to scoop out the fish already in there and cant use medications due to your inverts then a uv would help. spent around 100 bucks for medications and was fed up. i tried kick ich, garlic methods, etc and was fed up. my lfs gave me a uv and said he swears this thing works if not i would get a free fish under 50$ if it didnt. heres my personal results: spent 180$*
B4 UV
yellow close to death, ich all over him.

After UV :jumping: NEVER HAVE AN ICH OUTBREAK AGEN!

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by ynotminot
holy crap... nice recovery results.. its nice to see another pinoy here too. Im from cebu
thats cool. im from bulucan plaridiel. thanks, i swear this hobby sucks.