!!! Ich !!!

w glint

Well, as the title implies, i got the ich. joy oh joy.
Im not quite sure how this happened... fish list: 90g DT :4'' Yellow tang, 2 1/2'' hippo tang, 3 green cromis, 1 fire fish, 14'' SFE. 20g nano: 2'' GSM clown, blue damsel. both tangs were QT for 6 weeks, the cromis and fire fish were both QT for 5 weeks, and i have had the GSM and damsel for 2 years. Needles to say, this sucks.
What am i to do? as far as hospital / QT tanks, the best i can do at the moment wound be a 55g, at best. a 40g breeder would be more likely. i also have a spare 10g that could house the fire fish, damsel, and GSM.
What should i do for treatment? i know one method is copper in hospital, main system fallow for 6 weeks. my space is extreamlly limited as is, adding more tanks for QT / hospital would be problematic to say the least... Is hypo a possibility? can Hypo be done in the main system?
this is hitting me at the worse possible time, i just got done with my freshman year of college and am just moving back in, and work is picking up. the soonest i will be able to do anything will be tomorrow night.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. much help is needed

acrylic51

I wouldn't do hypo in the DT......I'd remove your tangs and get them to a 40 they will be fine......If you opt for copper, you have to be careful, and you need to have a test kit so you can monitor the levels.....

w glint

so, what exactly should i do? should i move all the other fish as well as i stated? i have a API master test kit, its worked well so far. the reason i am leery of hypo, is because i dont have a refactometer, i only have a hydrometer.
Im definitely in panic mode as of the moment.

acrylic51

Who is showing signs of ich........They would be the ones I'd move to QT.......When I was referring to test kits, you have to be able to monitor precisely the amount of copper you are treating......It's something you don't want to dose haphazardly........

w glint

everyone in the tank has some spots, some more than others. obviously both tangs have it the worst, everything has some, except for the firefish and the largest of the cromis. i think my plan of action is going to get a 55 or a 40 and set that up, i have a spare penguin 250 HOB that i will use in conjuncton with a Aqua Remora Pro skimmer with a MJ1200. a lfs has some cheep decor' rock ill grab some of that too. i think if i can get a 55, ill put all the fish in there, but if i can only get a 40, ill put the tangs and cromis in the 40 and the other 3 in the 10g. What about the eel? i read they are immune? if i do need to treat him, he will be one tough bugger' to catch....
Also, i like the idea of hypo ( no chemicals, more natural ) copper scares the hell out of me. how does one do a well orchisrated hypo treatment?

acrylic51

Hypo is not a bad option. I would definitely try to get them separated as you've suggested. The QT doesn't have to be anything special or fancy. Some PVC pipe would work as well in the QT tank. Cheap IMO.
If you check in the disease forum I think it was Beth that did an outstanding writeup on hypo treatment...

w glint

Well, i would go ahead and start hypo, but i do not have refractometer, all i have is my hydrometer, and from what i read, this is not accurate enough for effective / safe hypo treatment...? Also, do you know if he Eel can remain in the DT during the 'fallow' period? i highly doubt i will be able to capture him even if i wanted too, short of completely removing all rock.
EDIT: i have decided to go ahead with a copper based medication regime, following the guidelines here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichart2mar.htm
i am still not sure about the eel.