ICH

rapt0r32

Hello I am new to this side of the board. I noticed my trigger was smacking the rocks and upon closer look I saw my Mimic tang had little white pin dots on his head and fins. Now I know you are suppose to QT ( sad enough I didn't do it ) but I am going to learn from this mistake. I am going out to get a 20 gallon a qt, but I still need to treat the fish I do have. I have read you don't want in LS. I was thinking though since I have some left over ( my 125 going to my 55 ) and I was only going to dump the left over in the flower bed. Could I use this LS to achieve my cycle quicker? That is question #1 #2 is what would be the best to treat my fish with. Here is what I have puffer 1 mimic i huma and 2 damsels ( maybe this would be a good time in ejecting them )
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you mean by "ejeecting them" killing them or dumping them in the toilet, please don't. I'm sure your LFS will be glad to have them.
To treat your fish, you'll need to setup a hospital tank and move all your fish over to the hospital. Hyposalinity is the best choice for treating ick. There is so much info here on the procedures for hyposalinity that I won't repeat them here. Just use your search feature here on the BB and type in Hyposalinity. You will get a good deal of info.
There is also a good deal of info on setting up QT/hospital tanks. Many resent discussions on the matter here in the Disease Forum. You can use the sand if you want, but it is better not to. The best thing to do for the QT/Hospital is to use bare bottom and paint the bottom [on the outside] black. This is necessary because the fish will be direly stressed with the reflections it sees from a bare bottom tank. Some people also paint the sides and back black to reduce stress [again always on the outside].
If you want to use the sand right now because you don't have time to do this painting, go ahead. However, following this treatment course, I'd recommend dumping the sand.
Let us know if you need more help.

rapt0r32

No I meant going back to the LFS with them. Not worth much in credit but hey out of my tank and out of my hair. I was just going to put the sand in there for cycle reasons. I wanted to go quicker with it. I don't want to treat my whole show tank because I have crabs and snails and a couple urcins in there. I appreciate the response. :D