Ich

Question...?
If my tank has ich and I have live rock ,corals and live sand and all the fish die (as I dont have a QT) and it sits fishless for a month will the tank be rid of ich? Second, I have treated it once already with greenex.....can I now expect all my corals and snails and crabs to die?

Yes, I have infected fish. My three pj cardinal are showing signs of it and one is worse than the other two. Two baby clowns only have a few spots each. I dont have the funds or the knowledge to set up a QT. I read about setting it up in the threads but a light, and the prism thing and drops and calibrating.......whew....im to new to all this for that to make sense. I guess I'll set up a QT for the future before I put the fish in the display tank.
Frustrated, broke, and out of ideas.......fresh water bath?
I dunno.....

E

eaglefan

I to have ich in my tank, I feel your pain. I have lost a saddle back, royal gramma and yellow tail. My pakistan butterfly is fading fast and I have a koran that is rough. Right now I am treating with green ex and vitamins. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thank you

debra w-c

I can relate to the having no money thing...
I have successfully treated ich by pulling all the fish from my tank and placing them in buckets with a heater and airline and medicating the buckets with copper. To be safe, you should leave the main tank with no fish for 5-6 wks. The ich will die with no host to live on.
If you catch ich early enough it can be treated very successfully with copper ( i prefer cupramine). I recommend that you follow the directions for the product carefully and that you maintain the copper treatment for a min of 4 weeks.
If you have large fish use multiple buckets to separate the fish.
You will need to use a product to remove ammonia and to neutralize nitrites.
Aim for fabulous water quality and provide good food while you are treating.
I think that if you leave the fish in the main tank in there current condition they will surely die.
You can get a bucket at a hardware store for around $1 or $2 and I'm assuming you may already have an extra heater and airline that you use to prepare for water changes.
Best of Luck! :happy:

joe carey

I would advise that you definitely follow the advice of Terry B. I tried Greenex and it killed all of my snails and had very adverse effects on my anemones, but they survived. Also, while I was treating with Greenex, a few of the fish developed fin rot. I put them all in a QT and started hyposalinity for the Ich and used Spectrogram for the fin rot. Within a few days they were doing much better. I am going to leave them in the QT for a full month, then I plan on putting them back in the main tank a couple at a time. I wish I had set up a QT when I started. Would have saved me a lot of trouble and a few fish.