Ick...again!

sdascher

Several months ago my fish had ick! I did the hypo salinity and lost most of them - most likely my fault as I didn't catch it in time. Anyhow the tank was emptied of fish - sat for 2 months running with just inverts. I got a purple tang a few weeks ago - in a quarantine tank and after the first week he had ick really bad. Well I decided to use Coppersafe with Maracyn two this time. Everything was fine and he was in his third week today and he has signs of ick again! ( I only used the Maracyn two as directed for 5 days).
What I have done so far is a 2g water change with Coppersafe and restarted the Maracyn two again. I figure maybe he had it so bad that he just needs more treatment!!
He eats well and I have been feeding him meats with seaweed and some vegtables soaked in Garlic Extreme every meal. I feed twice a day, morning and evening.
I was changing one to 2g of water, pre made up with Copper Safe every week because its just a 10g tank. Was this not enough maybe??? Am I doing something wrong?? All water test&temps are good - where they should be. I do Not have a copper tester, but I was told that if I did one to 2 gallon change every week that the copper levels should be OK - Maybe this is a big mistake??

sdascher

Update - I just ordered a copper test kit - I will have it Wed, morning.
My tang looks fine, he is swimming OK and his color is good...just those white spots/dots and patches, sort of a film, one on his eye! Maybe this is not ick???

sdascher

This morning tang is still OK (except for his illness) I will do a heavy water change - The tangs home is in a 125g in my basement. Its a stand alone all fish tank. Upstairs I have another 125g with a 55g refugium and a sump. Healthy tank - so maybe I could use water from this tank???? I haven't been - I have been using new water (distilled) for the tank set up & changes. ( I am getting a RO as this water I buy by the gallons, but is getting exspensive!) Anyhow - here are my readings this morning: ph 8.3 - salinity 1.024 - water temp 78 - Ammo. 0 - Nitrates - 0 - Nitites 0 and the readings are the same from the mother tank here upstairs with the calcium 430. I am going to wait to see if anyone responds with a NO do not use water from another tank or not!! Keep in mind with suggestions that I also happen to have a empty "second" 10g hospital tank available. Heck with all of my tanks I need them!! Thanks for the info guys.

sdascher

update on purple tang.....hypo tank started and finally got it down to 1.09 on the 12th - he looked terrible. I also re started the Marclyn2. He is hanging in there, but he doesn't look too good. He is now swimming sideways on the bottom of the tank lots of times...... the ick looks clearer - I am still watching him closely, hopefully he will make it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are you doing these treatments in a QT? What did you use to measure salinity when you tried hyposalinity?

sdascher

Beth, Yes the tang is in a 10g QT and I use a glass hydrometer. I had gotten the info. from you months back. I think that the one reply was correct in saying that there sounds like the Tang had a lot of different problems. She is better, her color is good but she still has a few light patches on her lower body. She still has 3 weeks to go in this new hyposalinity so maybe that will clear up in time. She is still eating good and I feel that's a good sign! I feed her frozen shrimp, plankton, (chopped finely together scallops & krill ) Mostly seaweed and a few veggie flakes soaked in zoe one day and the next garlic. I only put small amount of "meat" with her veggies.