Ick for the first time!

Hello everyone! I have began noticing that ick is in my tank... and I am going to be setting up a QT which is a 55 gallon (a spare tank I just realized was in my house) and I know I should have set up one before... but I have a few questions. First of all I have an eel, I don't need to take him out right? cause only fish can get it? not sure if that is true or not. and also since I don't have the other tank set up yet, I don't think I will have the proper time to cycle it. now I have an Emperor 400 filter for both tanks could I take one of the bio wheels out of my DT and put it in the QT along with a couple of pieces of live rock and some substrate to help move the cycle along? Also I was going to add some of my water from the DT and put that in the QT as well. Any help would be very very appreciated... I'm just waiting to start right now. Thank you in advance.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can do that. Does your display tank have live rock in it, inverts? Are you going to use hyposalinity for treatment?

yes, my main tank has a couple of snails about live rock and I plan to do hypo in the tank I am setting up so I don't have to worry about losing everything but the fish. and also would I be able to keep the eel in the DT? not sure if your yes was to that heh thanks for the response

ok also how quick should I add them to the QT? I mean I don't want to add them all at the same time right? but I don't want to wait too long to move them. I mean if I use most of the same stuff the cycle shouldn't be as long right?

sepulatian

How badly do they have ich? I wouldn't wait too long. You will probably see some spikes. Have some premixed water on hand to do water changes if need be.

I am not sure how bad it is because I have never really seen it in person before but my girlfriend has and she agrees that it is ick but I don't want to risk losing any fish, but I will have some premixed water in a seperate bucket, do you think that constant 5 gallon water changes on a 55 will be helpful or should I do more? thanks

sepulatian

Originally Posted by BlackBarracuda
I am not sure how bad it is because I have never really seen it in person before but my girlfriend has and she agrees that it is ick but I don't want to risk losing any fish, but I will have some premixed water in a seperate bucket, do you think that constant 5 gallon water changes on a 55 will be helpful or should I do more? thanks
Base the water changes on your readings. If you see the water start to spike then do the waterchange. 5 gallons won't be enough to lower it though. Have enough water ready for about 15-20 gallons. That is roughly a 30-35% water change. You don't have to change that much at once. The water takes at least 24hrs to mix. It is better to have a little extra on hand.

ok I just went to the store a little while ago and bought enough salt to make 50 gallons, now another question I have is when I add the fish to the QT.... how long should I wait in between putting them in? like a few hours apart? I mean a few hours doesn't seem long but I want to get them into that tank as quickly as I can

sepulatian

ok I just went to the store a little while ago and bought enough salt to make 50 gallons, now another question I have is when I add the fish to the QT.... how long should I wait in between putting them in? like a few hours apart? I mean a few hours doesn't seem long but I want to get them into that tank as quickly as I can
You can put them all in together. Make sure you drip acclimate them.

sepulatian

ok thanks again... also if I put live rock in the QT and take it out before I hypo the live rock should be ok right?
Yes the rock will be fine.

It probly wont work and i now it wont remove the ick just maybe slow it down try putting alot more extreme galic on the food about 3 drops an teaspoon.

sepulatian

how long after I put the fish in the QT should I begin the hypo?
You can begin to lower the salinity right away. Be sure to monitor your ph and lower the SG gradually over the 48 hrs time. Don't forget to remove the rock from the qt before you begin.

ok thanks again and I just have 1 more question... how much of a water change should I do at how many times a day? I have a 55 gallon and the salinity is about 1.021

sepulatian

ok thanks again and I just have 1 more question... how much of a water change should I do at how many times a day? I have a 55 gallon and the salinity is about 1.021
Pull about 10 gallons out, but dribble the fresh in all day. Be sure to check the PH of the fresh water and after every gallon or so, check the tanks ph. It can drop in hypo without the buffer of the salt.