iCK HELP Fast please!!!

S

summerdaze

Can someone please help me? Ive also posted this on the disease section too. I have a yellow tang that has serious ick in my DT. I dont have a QT. I bought some paraguard and poly gaurd and some other stuff that starts with an "M" it has a long name, anyways Ive been treating the tank for over a week and the tang is getting worse. the eyes of the fish are starting to look terrible and the body is covered with ick. My clown and damsels are fine so I dont know whats going on or what to do about it. I have inverts and LR so I cant hypo. I think the ick came from an ICK infested puffer that I bought and had to take back soon after I let it out of the bag. I dont have a qt so I asked the lady that owns the store if my other fish were at risk and she said she didnt know. didnt offer to help if it did, so of course I went to another lfs to buy the medication which costed about $100.I will never go back to the store that sold me the sick fish after I spent hundreds getting my tank up and running, please help, thanks

K

kimc

but you probably should go to Walmart buy a tank & power head and set up a hospital tank asap to begin hypo. This is probably not what you want to hear but may be the only way to treat your fish.... Anyone else have any ideas??

S

summerdaze

some one I ran into said to raise the temp to 90degrees. Anyone heard of this? thanks

alyssia

No more ideas. Buy a cheap tank, heater, and filter and start hypo ASAP. You will have to do WC's everyday to stop the tank from going into a cycle.

alyssia

Originally Posted by summerdaze
some one I ran into said to raise the temp to 90degrees. Anyone heard of this? thanks

I haven't heard of that.

K

kimc

Originally Posted by alyssia
I haven't heard of that.
Neither have I

sepulatian

I have heard of raising the temp to speed up the life cycle of ich, but if they have a host they will still latch on.

mikeyjer

I actually lower the temp and feeding garlic food to fight the ich. But that's just me....It works wonders for me though....I have 2 beautiful healthy tangs and a Humu Humu Trigger, they all have gone through ich and survived by using this method. I've had all 3 fish over a year now, one I had for a year and a half. :happyfish

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
I actually lower the temp and feeding garlic food to fight the ich. But that's just me....It works wonders for me though....I have 2 beautiful healthy tangs and a Humu Humu Trigger, they all have gone through ich and survived by using this method. I've had all 3 fish over a year now, one I had for a year and a half. :happyfish
absolutely, Garlic helps build their immune system. Garlic works wonders for everyone. Good for humans, feed it to your dog it helps them not get fleas, garlic is great!!!!!!

scubadoo

Originally Posted by summerdaze
This is a dangerous level but fish can survive provided you have plenty water flow. Elevating the temp speeds up the life cycle of ich. A lower temp actually prolongs the life cycle. ...bad idea

T

thug

I have just got over a bad ich problem in my 125. I raised the temp. to 86 and doubled up on the treatment I was using which was RID ICH+ by Kordon. My ich was gone in 5 days. I have inverts in tank and none showed any negative affects during treatment.

hook

i am still in the process of getting over ich. Everything looks awesome though! i also bought a puffer and it had ich, but seeing as how i started my hobby just a few months ago, i wasnt sure what the heck was going on. puffers eye got all cloudy, talked to lfs, they gave me some cupramine, so i took out my snails, and dosed the tank to .5mg/L. Trigger i started with looked bad for a little bit, but looks awesome now! Lionfish looks awesome. And the only damsel that survived the mess, a blue devil damsel, also looks awesome. On my second week of the copper dose now. Gonna use poly-cotton? to get the copper out afterwards and also take my crushed coral substrate out and put sand in there. Read alot about cc keeping traces of copper in it. That'll be another new adventure for me :eek:)

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
This is a dangerous level but fish can survive provided you have plenty water flow. Elevating the temp speeds up the life cycle of ich. A lower temp actually prolongs the life cycle. ...bad idea
Here's my logic of it why I lowered my temperature. Since garlic boost the fish's immune system up, instead of speeding up the process of ich so it can go faster with lots of offspring hitting the fish all at once without giving the fish any chance to build it's immune system. I thought I would slow it down so it give the fish some time to build it's immune system to fight against the parasite. It's a longer process but it works for me! Nothing is ever a bad idea if there's a thought behind it!!! JMO.... :happyfish

hatessushi

Only way to be sure is get the tank, powerhead, heater and set up QT for hypo. It won't cost you $100 either and you will still have the equipment to use over and over again.

miamireefr

Here's my logic of it why I lowered my temperature. Since garlic boost the fish's immune system up, instead of speeding up the process of ich so it can go faster with lots of offspring hitting the fish all at once without giving the fish any chance to build it's immune system. I thought I would slow it down so it give the fish some time to build it's immune system to fight against the parasite. It's a longer process but it works for me! Nothing is ever a bad idea if there's a thought behind it!!! JMO.... :happyfish

Mike I agree with you but also think even after going through ICK myself that it has happened to everyone or almost everyone at least once and everyone has their own method of fighting it. I have read numerous cases on this forum and over the net and after years of this being around even hypo hasn't helped some...(whether not done right or it stressed the fish more)...bottom line is do what works best.. just my 2cents.

israel p

I'm going through ich now. Bought a foxface in quarantine from lfs WHO PROBABLY HAD IT. Big sale got excited poor judgement
anyway I'm usung the kick-ich by ruby reef ($30) scopas tang,firefish goby, and clown look great. Almost done with treatment it takes up to 14 days if you follow the instructions. Feeding fish with vitamins and garlic now. Foxface and royal gramma still have some traces. May need to repeat. This stuff hasnt killed my corals inverts or anemone. Believe me I started to panic aswell took a deep breath and gave this stuff a chance. I have had ich 10 years ago in a fresh water tank that wiped everything out and didnt get back into fish untill four months ago. I had a lot more to lose this time though! Good Luck.

marinenut

Hypo is the best way. It takes at least 5 weeks, but it's the most thorough. Meds are too expensive and have too many side effects. I've used them ALL. Had the best success with Hypo. Patience and salinity monitoring is the key with this though. Keep that puppy just at 1.009 and use a good refractometer.

joshfazz

What did you lower the temperature to? Did you feed it fresh garlic or minced and how often?

lion_ish

ich is a parasite right? if so what does it look like because i have little well things on the glass of my tank i have not added fish yet but i want to know before i hurt or kill a fish?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by joshfazz
What did you lower the temperature to? Did you feed it fresh garlic or minced and how often?
I lowered it to 74-75 I feed it formula 2, it has 2% added garlic, but most would tell you to feed fresh garlic since it breaks down after being cut. You should mince the garlic and use only the juice you get out of it and soak their food with it to feed. But formula 2 works just fine for me, I was feeding my fish 3-4 times a day. I take excuse leave from work just to come home to feed extra. It took just a few days to show improvement and a week to show better health and eating better and a month for it to fully recover. My Naso Tang was close to dying, very thin and not eating at all, he was skin and bones. No way I was going to take him out to do hypo or any treatment, he would of died from the treatment. He's one healthy fat fish today!!!! VERY FAT!!! He eats like a pig now.... :happyfish