Ick i think.......

acez28

Okay what i have in my tank is in my sig. The problem i have is everytime i put my Porcupine Puffer into my main tank it starts getting white dots on its fins. Nothing ever goes to his body but i usually dont let him stay in the main tank long enuff. I was thinkin it was Ick so i have been treating it with copper in my QT. The first time i moved the puffer, the tang, and the 2 clowns. All of them had at least a coupla shite specs on them. All got well and in about 2 weeks they were all moved back to the main tank. Then a coupla days after moving them the puffer started getting white specs again. So i moved him back to the QT tank. He has been in there for about 2 1/2 months now. I just moved him back friday because i bought a Flame angel. The white specs were gone along time ago but i just havent had time to move him back into the main tank. But now they are coming back again. The others are not getting them yet but i dont know what else to do. I figure if anything would get sick the Tang would be sick first but its doing fine......so far. So any suggestions..... I dont know what could be causing it.
Water params are good. All the fish are getting along. No territorial disputes. All of them are eating great. The puffer will eat everything he can get a hold too. I dont know what else it could be.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The tank has ich and because you have not left the tank dormant [without fish in it] for at least a month, the ich continues to live in there. This puffer is obviously susceptible.
All fish need to be QTed in a separate tank and correctly treated with hyposalinity---not copper. During the hypo process your main tank will remain fishless and the parasite will die off.
However, this will be a waste of time unless you QT all new incoming fish in the future. Ich is not always in the tank. Ich is introduced into the tank by fish. If you kill the parasite on the fish with hyposalinity and QT all new fish [treating them as necessary before they go in to the main display] then you will never have ich in your main tank. This is the only solution to the problem.

acez28

LOL well i posted this at another board. And they answered it quickly. The problem was that the puffer had sand that was stuck to his fins. I caught the puffer in a net and wiped one of his fins and felt the grainy sand on him. And this makes sense because my puffer will go behind the rocks out of sight for a coupla hours and when he gets back thats when he has the specs on him. If ick was left in the tank then the other fish would have had it all while the puffer was in the QT tank. And i do QT my fish when i get em. Thats where the Flame Angel is and will be for the next 2-3 weeks. Preciate the responses but.......