ick-ich gone! ez

puffer666

So i had withe dots on my puffer and clown in my saltwater tank and got it in my fresh water.this is all do to big water change with out RO or any clean water tap water is so bad ware im at and i had no clue tell i lost a freshwater angel fish a zedradanle. both salt and fresh went down fast! but the answer to the ick-ich omega one with garlic its all gone in the salt tank and my last angel only has one last spot on it so it worked for me try it b4 you do what i did and ruin a tank with copper. witch now i need to know can i get the copper out of my old tank?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer666 http:///t/394544/ick-ich-gone-ez#post_3511621
So i had withe dots on my puffer and clown in my saltwater tank and got it in my fresh water.this is all do to big water change with out RO or any clean water tap water is so bad ware im at and i had no clue tell i lost a freshwater angel fish a zedradanle. both salt and fresh went down fast! but the answer to the ick-ich omega one with garlic its all gone in the salt tank and my last angel only has one last spot on it so it worked for me try it b4 you do what i did and ruin a tank with copper. witch now i need to know can i get the copper out of my old tank?
Sweetie,
You don't get ich from using tap water, ich is a parasite creature, not a germ. The spots fall off and breed more little parasites to attack your fish later. Garlic will help build the immunity of the fish and a healthy fish can fight off the ich parasite...but if you add a new fish, or for some reason (any reason) the healthy fish get stressed, their immunity will drop, and they will be attacked and covered with the parasite to keep the cycle going.
I was always under the impression that once you use copper in a tank, it stays in the rubber seals and is not usable for a reef tank...You can use it for a quarantine/hospital tank. That way you won't have to ruin another tank with medicine.
So the good news is that you can put all your fish in the old tank, and treat them for ich and leave your good tank without any fish in it for 8 weeks and then you have an ich free system. Then in the future, when you get a new fish...use the quarantine tank and keep the new critter in there for 4 weeks and if it gets ich treat it BEFORE you ever add it to the display.

mr. limpid

+ one
What kind of copper did you use in your tank there are two types. One like Flowers says will impregnate everything and the other will stay in the water stream. Also would like to point out a lot of salt water angel's do not respond well to copper treatment, I prefer hypo treatment to kill ick.

puffer666

This is what i got frop AP quick cure ingredients are formalin and malachite green? this killed my pinncushion urchin and a small star that hitched in. he lost his mate to my water change.

flower

Inverts can't handle medicines as a rule. That is why we remove a sick fish, and treat it in a hospital tank.
Again..to really be rid of the ich parasites, get all fish out of the display and leave the tank without any fish for 8 weeks. Treat the removed fish with hypo or medicine in a separate tank.
Since you already said you have a tank you had added copper to...use it now as the quarantine/hospital tank. No sand, put some PVC pipe, or a fake decor in it so the fish can hide and be happy. A corner bubbler (no air stone) is all you will need...but somehow you need to cycle the tank, some filter material from the display is ideal. Get some ammonia strip tests to make sure there are no spikes...have water ready and mixed in case you need to do an emergency water change. if you don't use the water, it will be fine to keep and use for a water change later, it won't go to waste.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer666 http:///t/394544/ick-ich-gone-ez#post_3511643
This is what i got frop AP quick cure ingredients are formalin and malachite green? this killed my pinncushion urchin and a small star that hitched in. he lost his mate to my water change.

Confused! you talk about salt water inverts but show a fresh water angel. Which fish has ick salt water or fresh?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/394544/ick-ich-gone-ez#post_3511650
Confused! you talk about salt water inverts but show a fresh water angel. Which fish has ick salt water or fresh?
LOL...he has ich in both his freshwater and saltwater tanks. Freshwater fish are easy to cure of ich, the medicines work just fine in the freshwater display tank. The saltwater tank is the hard one because he needs to remove the fish to another tank for 8 weeks....because of the inverts, he can't put medicine in a tank with them and they don't get ich.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394544/ick-ich-gone-ez#post_3511653
LOL...he has ich in both his freshwater and saltwater tanks. Freshwater fish are easy to cure of ich, the medicines work just fine in the freshwater display tank. The saltwater tank is the hard one because he needs to remove the fish to another tank for 8 weeks....because of the inverts, he can't put medicine in a tank with them and they don't get ich.
agree

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer666 http:///t/394544/ick-ich-gone-ez#post_3511652
i see that i can dip? is a safe way to rid the prob?
Doesn't get rid of ick they are protected by there crystal. And the ones in the tank are still there. You will return the fish just to be preyed upon again. Follow Flowers suggestion and for second opinion go to Beth's thread at top of this Form, there is a step by step on how to rid ick.

puffer666

ya that what it said on the article i read wont rid the ick im just trying to start a 10 gal nano tank and hate to f it up like i might have. the 10 gal was my first saltwater and i got a lot of money in the the lights and filters. but to have what i wont i better just get new? and keep it as a QT tank what looks good lol. pic of QT as it sets now

puffer666

and to add in fresh water its ok but the plecomus will die gone threw 3 of em in the last 10 years. well treating the tank after new fish brought the ick in never had it in the lats 2 years and just like that bam after water change. so i thought it came with the water this time? it must just b still in the tank?

sry but the glass is bad got to get at it with a blade.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer666 http:///t/394544/ick-ich-gone-ez#post_3511662
ya that what it said on the article i read wont rid the ick im just trying to start a 10 gal nano tank and hate to f it up like i might have. the 10 gal was my first saltwater and i got a lot of money in the the lights and filters. but to have what i wont i better just get new? and keep it as a QT tank what looks good lol. pic of QT as it sets now

Get rid of the sand and rocks,they will absorb any meds you add, paint the bottom black and add a piece of PVC pipe. Also make sure the filtration you have will support the size fish you are QT'ing. A good item to on have is a bottle of Amquel+ or Prime this will cut down ammonia if it rises to fast. During QT process always have a batch of fresh salt water made up enough to do a 50% water change. These are thing I have learned from experience. Keep asking questions and get yourself a book on starting a saltwater tank.

puffer666

i have a book its just on starting and maintaining your tank. this site has bean more help then my 50 $ book. the book is good its by Mr. saltwater tank whats my tank personaltiy? as long as i dont see the ick i will just let it go for now and get me a uv sterilizes. and let you all know what the outcome is. and clean the 10 gal out. and have it as a QT im still finding out more day by day.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffer666 http:///t/394544/ick-ich-gone-ez#post_3511675
i have a book its just on starting and maintaining your tank. this site has bean more help then my 50 $ book. the book is good its by Mr. saltwater tank whats my tank personaltiy? as long as i dont see the ick You never see ick until it is to late i will just let it go for now you are playing with fire treat all your fish now or they are dead matter of time and get me a uv sterilizes waste of money will only kill what go threw it. and let you all know what the outcome is. and clean the 10 gal out. and have it as a QT im still finding out more day by day.
Good but take the advise from people who's done that been there, because we don't want to see you go threw what we did. Remember we are because we want to be not because we are getting paid to.

flower

Okay...I had an experience that I will share...I didn't use a QT when I first started, and by the time I actually had ich in my 90g reef tank...unless I had a spare 90g...I couldn't remove all my fish and do as was recommended by everyone on this site. No "reef safe" ich medicine worked, the spots would go and return in worse numbers.
I threw up my hands to give up, and then decided to just let the fish die. Well, I couldn't stand the thought of not trying to do something. I had read garlic will boost immunity, I also read that skunk cleaner shrimp actually picks the parasite off, and out of the fish' gills. So I began to use FRESH garlic juice, and soak the frozen fish food in it. I purchased two cleaner shrimps. All my fish were healthy enough to not get any spots, and my shrimps were taking piggy back rides on the sand sifter cleaning his gills as they went. The other fish would go to the rock the shrimps hung out at and get cleaned up....it was awesome to watch.
I added NO MORE FISH, because I knew a stressed new fish would be attacked, and by sheer numbers do in my survivors. My Hippo tang would always get it first, and all I needed to stress that little guy out was to do a water change. I upped the temps to 82 degrees because I read that was the ideal temp to keep a tang the happiest, and he got healthy and quit getting itchy spots too. Two years after doing that, I moved to a new home and I knew the stress was going to be there ... and I figured my fish were doomed. To my absolute amazement...it didn't happen, no ich outbreaks at all.
I assume that with healthy fish the ich couldn't keep a host, and must have died out...l have no idea when that may have happened. Since then a quarantine tank is the norm. I have never had another little parasite in many years. So if you are willing to keep the fish you have, and not add another one...just keep you’re remaining fish healthy, they might have a chance.
P.S.
I would not recommend anyone doing what I did. I had plenty of fish deaths as the result of ich. I managed to keep the remaining fish alive. That's the reason why I always recommend a quarantine tank; it will save you so much grief. An ounce of prevention is truly worth a pound of cure.