ICK need some info please

reefmate75

ok here it goes, just got new fish and didnt QT them, well long story short, the powder blue tang looked perfect when i got him in, neon goby and black cap looked poor and as i suspected it died the next day after entering my tank, neon goby recovered nicely and after 2 days found my other neon goby and will not leave its side hahaha
but anyways i put these fish in my DT, ive always expected my blue hippo of having ICK but its one of the here today gone tomorrow kind and i wasnt to worried about setting up a QT sence it doesnt seem to bother him at all, but now with the powder blue, and the blue hippo having it, im thinking about tearing down my DT and QTing all my fish for 6 weeks
the information im looking for is, i have a 20 gallon tank, a 25 gallon that used to be a sump, and a 100 gallon long tank not drilled, which should i use to QT???
i was thinking about putting in black dividers in the 100 gallon and dropping a tang in each division to keep them separated in the QTing process so they would be less stressed out, but i have a yellow tang he looks awesome no sign of ICK, sail fin looks great also no signs of ick on him either, but i wanted to tear down the tank and just QT them and do a HYPO on all the fish and leave the DT alone with no fish in it for awhile to kill the ICK off in the DT
another part, do you guys think a 7" yellow tang would be ok in a 25 gallon division for 6wk-2mo? thats what im really worried about, hes fine probably has ick but thats not the point i just want to rid my DT tank of ICK and after that never add another fish till im down to 3 or 4 and then i will QT every fish from then on out, and that way i would never move to fast with adding fish as the sound of QTing sounds like its a pain in my back side
input please, the powder blue is breaking out fast, like i said yesterday he looked fine and today he has a lot of spots on him and sliding against rocks, he doesnt use my cleaner shrimp or the neon gobys like the blue hippo dose and i think thats why the hippo has lasted as long as he has,
i have 5 tangs in my 135 gallon tank, i was thinking of putting the yellow eyed Cole and sail fin together in a division or do you guys think putting the powder blue and blue hippo in the same section would be the best bet? they are about the same size and the blue hippo doesnt seem to care about other tangs one bit

sepulatian

All of the fish have been exposed to ich and they all need to be treated. Do you have corals of any kind? If not then you may want to pull some display water out and into the 20 and 25 or a tub, for the rocks and inverts, and hypo the display. Either tank will be too small for all of these fish and the 100 isn't much less than the 135 that is cycled already. Please let us know what all is in the display so that we can help with the best course of action here.

reefmate75

yup got corals in there
want to buy them all? would make hypo alot easier huh hahahahaha
yeah i know i need to treat them all to maek sure there isnt any ICK left in the tank, do you think a 25 gallon area woul dbe ok with a 7" yellow tang and some other fish for about 2 months? there is 23 fish in this tank, 5 of which are tangs

sepulatian

Wow, 23 of them huh? This is a tough one. I would set up the 100 and cycle it with LR. For the time being, add vitamins and fresh garlic to the fish's food. This is tough because it will be hard to get the fish out of there and it will be a huge strain on the qt, adding that many fish at once. You will be facing a hard cycle, which will mean a whole lot of water changes. Pick up some sponge filters to add to the sump in a high flow area. Let them gather some biological bacteria that you can add to the qt later. Keep the display as stress free as you possibly can.

reefmate75

sep do you think putting in dividers in the 100 gallon and keeping the sailfin, powder blue, and yellow tang separated would be better then just leaveing it all free and open, with all the tangs able to mingle? i didnt want to do it that way, but im unsure about putting the 7" yellow in a 25 gallon area at witch is only 16" deep of water,
maybe the easier way would be to take out as many inverts and corals as i could and place them in the 100 gallon and just HYPO the DT? or would the ICK survive in the substright? being that it is 4.5" deep

sepulatian

Originally Posted by reefmate75
http:///forum/post/2519408
sep do you think putting in dividers in the 100 gallon and keeping the sailfin, powder blue, and yellow tang separated would be better then just leaveing it all free and open, with all the tangs able to mingle? i didnt want to do it that way, but im unsure about putting the 7" yellow in a 25 gallon area at witch is only 16" deep of water,
maybe the easier way would be to take out as many inverts and corals as i could and place them in the 100 gallon and just HYPO the DT? or would the ICK survive in the substright? being that it is 4.5" deep
I would not hypo the display. It is a reef and you will lose all of the micro-organisms in that nice sand bed. You may want to set up the 25 for the smaller fish. The tangs are all together in a 135 now. They will be fine in the 100 together. I don't see much of a point in adding a divider when you have other tanks around.

reefmate75

well this will piss my wife off but i guess i can set the 75 gallon back up for a QT and the 100 gallon for the tangs, i will probably put the yellow alone with all the smaller fish in the 75 as he is the only real bully, ill need to clean the 75 out i just tore it down and put every thing in the 135 argggg, its a reef set up and i cant afford to be having these tanks all set up with heavy water changes on them which will piss my wife off even more blah i wish she would just understand what these fish mean to me and stop thinking of it as competition for her affection
you guys reccomend painting the outside of the tanks blue/black or just tapeing up backgrounds? i dont plan on useing these tanks anymore, i might set the 75 and the 100 up in the garage for a QT tank only and that would be it and then tear down the 100 after this mass QT is done and leave the 75 running for QT