Ick????

calbomb17

Last night, I noticed that my Coral Beauty had small, pin-like, white dots all over his body. So I asked my "fish-friend" what it was, and he told me that it looked like Ick. So today I woke up, and the dots were gone. Later today I went to my LFS and they said that my water was perfect. At around 7 or 8 I check on the fish and he again has the white dots. What the heck is going on???
:notsure:

lion_crazz

In my experience, ich is caused by unstable tank levels. I would monitor your temperature and salinity two or three times per day and make sure that each time you check it, it's stable. If there's huge fluctuation in tank levels (usually temperature), your fish will get stressed and the ich will come.
What is your temperature and salinity currently at?

T

tizzo

Fine sand particles will asl
lso stick to the fish's slime coat and send a lot of people into a panic. It just might be ick, but if it is not then this is something to consider.

sov82

Salinity, Water Temperature, Shock, etc. has nothing to do with whether or not a fish can be infected by Ich.
Go to the Disease and Treatment portion of this forum and read the FAQ sticky at the top.
Better questions to ask are:
When did you get this fish?
Have you added any fish recently?
Did you quarantine these fish for 4 weeks prior to adding them to your tank?
Are your fish trying to scratch themselves on the rocks and/or are they hanging around any cleaner shrimp? Are the white spots also showing up on the Fish's fins?
If the question is yes to any of those, you probably have a 90% chance you have Ich.