ick

ncabw

Some questions about Ick. If one fish gets Ich do you have to take out all the fish and do hypo on all them or just the one that has ick. And if a fish gets ich how long can u leave him in the dp tank while you set up a quarantine tank if you don't have one set up yet? Last ? how long will Ich take to move onto other fish and does the fish with ich just die if never treated right?

L

lsu

If you see ick on one fish, then more than likely the ick is already in the free-swimming stage and has attatched to the other fish. It would be in your tanks best interest to remove all of the fish to qt and begin hypo. You will need to leave your display tank fishless for six weeks to be sure that all of the ick has died due to lack of a host.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by LSU
If you see ick on one fish, then more than likely the ick is already in the free-swimming stage and has attatched to the other fish. It would be in your tanks best interest to remove all of the fish to qt and begin hypo. You will need to leave your display tank fishless for six weeks to be sure that all of the ick has died due to lack of a host.
Well put!

1journeyman

Ncab w,
Please look at the first post by Beth in the disease/treatment forum. It explains the life cycle of ich.
Once a display tank becomes infected wih ich you have very few options. There are no short cuts..

sepulatian

Originally Posted by LSU
Very nice post. I agree. Please post this in Disease and Treatment. We will be more than happy to walk you through the process

tomclx

Hello,
I just had a bout with ich, and I left all of my fish in the tank, and raised my tempature to 80 degrees, and with in two weeks all of the ich was gone. I beagn by raising the temapture 1 degree a day until I got to 80 degrees. I let it stay at 80 degrees for about two weeks, and then I lowered it back down a degree a day until i got to the 76-77 degree range. ICH parasites hate warm tempatures. I have NO more ICH in the tank. All of my fish are healthy. Hope this helps.
Tom

earlybird

Originally Posted by tomclx
Hello,
I just had a bout with ich, and I left all of my fish in the tank, and raised my tempature to 80 degrees, and with in two weeks all of the ich was gone. I beagn by raising the temapture 1 degree a day until I got to 80 degrees. I let it stay at 80 degrees for about two weeks, and then I lowered it back down a degree a day until i got to the 76-77 degree range. ICH parasites hate warm tempatures. I have NO more ICH in the tank. All of my fish are healthy. Hope this helps.
Tom
Not sure of the science behind this but I disagree. Ich appeared in my tank which hovers between 80.4 and 81.2.

flcandy

Best thing is to put the fish in a HYPO tank and let the other tank sit for 6 weeks per earlier posts. Good luck.