Ick!

daphne

you'll have to setup a QT, take all the fish out of your DT and then treat the fish with hyposalinity for about 5 weeks. The ick will die of in the DT without host (usually 4-6 weeks) and the fish can be reintoduce safely. I'm going through all of that right now, it's a pain but the only way to ge --- of the parasite...

sepulatian

I moved your thread here for you so that you will get more help. Start by telling us what all is in your tank. Please read the first FAQ at the top of this forum. There is a lot of information about ich and available treatments there.

chasar

Alright, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I noticed that the 2 fish (heniochus) looked bad, and he assumed it was ich. He's at Wal-Mart right now trying to buy a QT, but it's only going to be a 10 gallon tank. Don't know if that's going to be big enough for all of the fish he has. They are: purple firefish, diamond goby, and 2 clown fish. Also, the clown fish have been breeding so he doesn't want to stress them out.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by chasar
http:///forum/post/2908838
Alright, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I noticed that the 2 fish (heniochus) looked bad, and he assumed it was ich. He's at Wal-Mart right now trying to buy a QT, but it's only going to be a 10 gallon tank. Don't know if that's going to be big enough for all of the fish he has. They are: purple firefish, diamond goby, and 2 clown fish. Also, the clown fish have been breeding so he doesn't want to stress them out.
A ten will not be enough for all of them, especially with two bannerfish. Are there corals in the tank? How do you know that it is ich? Do you see salt-like spots on the fins and body? Is there any way you can post a picture?

chasar

OK, I am back from Walmart and All I could get is a ten gallon. Good news is that a local LFS owner works there and will open up for me to get what I need. Now establishing what I need... I do not have any corals or anemones. My CUC is hermits and snails, I have 2 emerald crabs and a feather duster, cleaner shrimp...I had a cucumber but I think it died. I am not 100% sure it is ich, I have never had an issue. I am not sure if it would be better to remove the CUC and treat the DT? I do not want to make matters worse as far as copper. I do not see any signs of ich on anything aside from the Heni's. I did some rearranging of the LR yesterday. I am assuming that this is what caused the stress and ich. I was gone all day today and came home and the GF noticed that the fish looked "rough". Panicing ever since. PIC'S

chasar

sorry the pics are the best I could do. These two fish are covered in white spots and their fins are falling apart, along with their banners. I do not know what to do and I am going to have to make a decision at 11:00 PM. The LFS owner does not know a lot about saltwater. What do I do?

chasar

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2909007
How are the fish acting?
Heni's will not eat. Staying in one place for the most part. All other fish seem to be normal. I forgot about my Lawn Mower Blenny until it swam by. Waiting on call from LFS, still not sure what to do. I really think that it was caused by the re aquascapping. I think I am going to take the Heni's out and treat in a 10 gallon tank. Will the other fish be fine? I do not know what to do?

http:///forum/post/2909010
Heni's will not eat. Staying in one place for the most part. All other fish seem to be normal. I forgot about my Lawn Mower Blenny until it swam by. Waiting on call from LFS, still not sure what to do. I really think that it was caused by the re aquascapping. I think I am going to take the Heni's out and treat in a 10 gallon tank. Will the other fish be fine? I do not know what to do?
Which way do you want to approach this? Do you want to just try to treat it and prevent future outbreaks as much or possible or totally eradicate it?

chasar

I will be honest I do not want to loose any of my fish, however under the circumstances, if I have to rid the tank of the two diseased fish in order to keep the rest of the tank, so be it. My pair of clowns are the only thing I truly care about, the rest of the fish are new in the past 6 months or so and I can part with. I do not want to loose my entire tank.

I understand what you are saying but here's the problem. Taking out those 2 fish will not fix your problem. While you may only see ick on those two fish it is still in your tank and will always remain there unless you take measures to kill it. You could take those two fish out and still have outbreaks of ick later down the road. How long has it been since you have added anything (fish/live rock/sand) to the tank?

chasar

It has been afew weeks since I added the Diamond goby. I do not think I will hear from the LFS since it is after midnght and they were getting off work at 11. I do have 10 gal tank I can put to use, but I am out of salt to make saltwater, would have to use it from the DT.

http:///forum/post/2909039
It has been afew weeks since I added the Diamond goby. I do not think I will hear from the LFS since it is after midnght and they were getting off work at 11. I do have 10 gal tank I can put to use, but I am out of salt to make saltwater, would have to use it from the DT.
How much live rock do you have and what size is your display tank?
Using an uncycled hospital tank will just make this problem worse so even if you had salt that would be a bad idea. Using water from your DT would work but it will probably be easier and less stressful on the fish to remove your rock and inverts to another tank and hypo your DT.

chasar

It is a 55 gallon tank, emporor 400 & 280 for filtration, octopus skimmer, and a 1200 gph powerhead. All HOB style. I have 50 #'s of LS and 100 #'s of LR.

You can do hypo with the sand in the tank, but you need to get the rock and inverts out. You don't neccesarily have to have a tank to hold the LR and inverts in. Do you have a tub you can put them in? All you need is a heater and a powerhead or filter on the tub. You don't need lights or anything. That might be much more feasible for you at this time.

chasar

OK, well I woke up this morning to two dead Heniochus Butterfly fish. I really did not think that they would make it given teh state that they were in. It is hard to think that changing the rocks in the tank would stress them out this much. What do I need to do at this point? Since the other fish did not seem affected by anything?

daphne

If it is ich even if they don't seem infected they'll be soon. So your choices are either you decide to take a chance that your fish will adapt to the parasite and will leave with it but any new added fish will get it too and may not survive or you decide to get ride of the ich and then you need to QT all the fish, treat them and leave your DT for 4-6 weeks without fish.