ID a coral for me?

flydan

Hey,
Was looking in cracks and crevasses with a flashlight looking for a missing peppermint shrimp and found a coral growing on the bottom of a piece of lr in a cave!
Perfect dome shape, about the diameter of a quarter. Perfectly white with sort of translucent areas. Almost looks like its made up of polyps with a mucus type stuff filling in the gaps. I see a couple of very small folicals sticking out in the center.
Cool looking but I have no idea what it is.
Any ideas whould be great!
Dan'l
PS. If y'all like this type of stuff I've got another "thing" I can't ID. ;)

nm reef

Not sure what you've got but I've got some wild looking sponges and what I think is a couple of tunicates(i think thats the name)........sponges sort of sound like what you have.....I searched for them and found pics and info to help me..........good luck....... :cool:

flydan

Hey,
I took your suggestion and went searching for sponges. Wow. Didn't know they came in such a variety of shapes. I now have what I believe are 4 different varieties of sponges growing on lr. One of them was only discribed as "white sponge" from the Cayman Islands. Cool!
Sooooooo, evidently I'm doing something that sponges like since they are growing. Isn't there a fish that eats them that I should avoid? I think it's a Butterfly, which I'm not getting anyway, but I'm not sure.
Dan'l