ID and is this normal?

hallzy

I got this coral out of a frag tank, and I'm not even sure what it is called! lol It has grown alot since I got it, but the past could days the one side looks deflated. Is this normal? (and as you can see, my 6 line is an attention hog... haha)

nikesb

looks fine. it is candy cande coral. before you make ur next purchases, please know that they are.

hallzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeSB http:///forum/thread/384997/id-and-is-this-normal#post_3374581
looks fine. it is candy cande coral. before you make ur next purchases, please know that they are.
Up until the past few days, the side that is deflated was as full as the other side is. How long do they stay deflated like this? And thank you for the ID. I got it out of a tank that just had frags in it, so it didn't have the names of the corals, it just had them separated by price. I knew it was ok for my tank, I just didn't know the name of it.

btldreef

Sometimes my candycanes do this. Just keep an eye on it. It looks like it might not be getting enough light, as it looks to be shaded by the upper heads.

hallzy

Ok, thank you. It has been 2 days now, if it is still this way tomorrow then I will try to move him and. See if that helps any!

slice

Do you feed it?
They put out feeder tentacles at night; I feed mine mysis 1-2x a week before leaving for work.
This was the other day just before feeding (the tentacles are usually much longer than this):

hallzy

No I havnt fed it while its tenticals are out because I have never put mysis in while the lights are off. I do use live marine phytoplankton twice a week, but I was reading on another post that it is garbage and shouldn't be used! Is that true? If so what is wrong with it?

slice

I spot feed mine using a turkey baster. Can't help you on the phytoplankton question, hopefully, someone will tell us.

hallzy

Ok, I have a turkey baster that is specifically for the tank so I will give that a try too. I noticed this morning that the side that is deflated isn't even extending its tenticals, so I fear that something is wrong. When I get off work today, if it is still deflated then I will try moving him to see if it is a light issue. And maybe tonight I will try some spot feeding.

hallzy

I came home form work today and he actually looked better! Still not fully opened, but much better than the past 2 days. I will leave him alone for another day before I mess with him.

hallzy

He seems to be back to normal today! I guess it was just me freaking out a lil. Lol it seems like my brain coral is getting smaller now, but that could be the same problem, me freaking out, so I will just keep an eye on him and try to not worry so darn much. Haha

btldreef

Corals do this. They change size/share sometimes depending on their mood, LOL. Sometimes it's related to something that is going on in the tank, and other times, it's just a mystery.