id - FingerAnemoneThingaMajig

ronwar

Does Anyone has any idea what this is? It was on a rock of polyps I purchased. At night it closes up. It is almost like it has fingers that rolls up. Thanks for the help

lovethesea

Is it the whole circular thingamajig or the little arms like an
anemone-a bob. :D
The colors kind of blend in with the rock...
Hydroid jellyfish if its just the fingers. (?)

ronwar

No, I dont think its a Limpet based on the other photos I seen of them.
This morning I dropped a small piece of shrimp in the center...and man! Those arms raised up(like individual fingers) and gobbled it up. It may have been early in the morning but i swear there was a crab or something behind it trying to get a piece.
Somebody, Anybody HELP!
I have it in my Refugium because i discoverd my rabbit fish has a taste for polyps (i mean he was biting of chunks of polyps)...but i'll save that for another thread:confused:

chris17

from the picture it almost looks like a feather duster, I have those limpets thingys. . . .prob. more than I should :nervous: I hope they dont try to eat my corals.. . . . :nervous: But, from the pic it looks more like a small feather duster. . . ..

lovethesea

Thomas? Bang? anybody?
I was wondering about the duster, but it looks too flat and he said it bubbled up.
I have been looking for a post I saw not too long ago, but I forgot what the context of it was. :confused:

ronwar

I dont think its a duster because there is no tube and it does not retract into anything. I would guess its in the anemone family based on its fingers, the way it closes up, and the way it eats. Very interesting animal indeed. I just wanna make sure its not harmful to anything in my main tank.
Thanks for your help guys

ronwar

okay, here is another clue; it seems to have a symbiotic(sp) relationtionship with a crab that lives next to it.
Anymore guesses? Someone has have to seen this before

T

thomas712

It is almost like it has fingers that rolls up.
Based on that comment I was going to say it could be a baby plate coral, but I just can't tell.
yer FIRED!!!
You sure about that, there arn't that many of us left, but if you want me to go, fine I'll go.
I quit
Not

lovethesea

Originally posted by Thomas712
You sure about that, there arn't that many of us left, but if you want me to go, fine I'll go.

boy, you are not kidding, you guys need to get some
extra help in the tank!!:eek:

ronwar

AHA......It took some time, but it turns out this is a simple rock anemone. They even sell them here.

T

thomas712

NO kidding :thinking:
Good work on finding out what it was. Got a new pic? Has it grown any? Does it take meaty foods?
Thomas