ID help please (pic)

maury

I bought an anemone that was firmly attached to a piece of LR at me LFS, and rather than damage the anemone, the owner gave me the rock (about a 5 lb piece) Well, today I noticed these little guys on the LR. I believe somewhere I had seen a pic of these things in a thread about how to get rid of a form of aptasia. Now these are not aptasia themselves, but I seem to remember that there is a variant of them, with short, stubby tentacles, and a think base. I even saw a few pics of them here. Now, these things don’t look exactly like them, in fact they have VERY short appendages on the disc at the top of the stalk, but I'm worried that these are still something to worry about. Are they just polyps that came with the rock, or a form of bad anemone? They are in the center of the pic, facing up (two of them) at the right side of the pic; there is a profile of another (looks like a little think tube) sticking out from the side of the rock. Any help appreciated.
<a href="http://webpages.charter.net/maury/Image004.jpg" target="_blank">pic</a>

Looks like zooanthid/bottun polyps to me. Nothing to be concerned about(they are good..free rag YEAH), they will reproduce to form a nice colony. I bet the rock was next to them in the main tank before you bought it. BTW, I cant beleive(not calling you a liar..saying you got lucky)that they gave you a 5lb piece of LR with an anenome since I am sure the rock was worth as much as the anenome...or more :p

maury

Nope, I dropped $200 on the Rose anemone, so the rock was not that big of a deal. Plus, I have spent thousands with this guy, so I EARNED that rock! ;)

Well, you didnt say it was a Roseanenome :) Still a good deal. 5lbs of rock. I have spent thousands on my reef also, but never recieved free LR. :)

Forgot to add that it is not sea mat. Sea mat polyps are always attached together by a "mat" ..hence the name :) hard to tell the difference sometimes ;)

rick58

Actually, they just might be Sea Mat Polyps. I agree with ReeferKeeper that they usually are mat like, but I did have a few individual polyps from mine get dislodge when I put in in my tank. They floated around and 3 of them found a home on another rock. Looking very much like the picture.

wrassecal

They look just like the button polyp I got on a piece of live rock. They do not look like they are open all the way in the picture. Good thing :D I was hoping mine would spread but it's been in there 7 months and still the only one, just has gotten bigger.