ID help

fishkiller

Ok, these are gonna be hard to explain. They look like little fat gree and white worms sticking out of the lr, but they are not worms I don't think. They look like some kind of algae or something. I looks like a little (1 inch long) sausage attached to the lr by one end. What are these?

jonthefb

are they white around the base adn green at the tip? if they are they are a calcareous type of macroalgae....not too sure of the name right off hand, but i will do some checking and see what i can find!
good luck
jon

fishkiller

jon- yeah, that sounds like them. They are not nocturnal. They are sticking out all the time. Yeah see what you can pull up. Thanx a lot!

jonthefb

correct, i am a scot....dont have a family clan, but a district one for sure. my family lived in and around Abeerdeenshire and so that is the district tartan with which we are associated!
still lookin for the info on that algae, i cant find a good pic anywhere!

jonthefb

ok got it...its sci name is Neomeris annulata...a calcium using algae that has a white base and neon green tips....my experience with it is that it usually shows up for a very limitied time on new live rock.....it usually disappears within 6 months to a year after first appearing!
heres a link showign a nice pic!
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/reefalg...20annulata.htm
good luck
jon

hairtrigger

What about spaghetti worms? I saw these things briefly the other day in his tank and spaghetti worms came to mind. What he is making a poor effort :D at trying to describe is: These little tubes resemble small feather duster "sheaths" without the crown on top. :cool:

fishkiller

ACTUALLY HAIRTRIGGER- THAT IS A DIFFERENT MATTER! I HAVE ALREADY ASKED ABOUT THEM!! I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE B/T THE TWO!! delete.
Jon- Thanx alot. Hopefully, that is what is is. I'm sure it is because I saw it after I put new LR in. From the Campbell Clan of Argyle here BTW.

jackief1

I was doing a search for spaghetti worms and came across this....kinda harsh, don't you think killer???

fishkiller

He'll get over it. You should see the way he talks to ME. He's got a mouth on him that is gonna get him hurt some day. I have already pulled my brother (6'3 260 lbs) off of him TWICE and my roomate once. I give him ---- cuz he needs it. That's how you get across to this guy. I've known him for over 10 years, so I'm use to it.:rolleyes:

T

thomas712

Fishkiller - 2 things
1. I'm from the Campbell clan as well. Haven't been able to track them to the Homeland as of yet. King clan to 1738 Avondale, Lanarkshire County, Scotland. Hamilton clan to 1737 Avondale, Scotland. Prentice/Broun to 1785 Lesmahagow, Scotland.
2. Please remember Public Forum. That was kinda harsh, and it does spell out a cuss word even with the $$, members who see this sometimes do not come back. I think there are other words that you could try and use.
Thomas

hairtrigger

:( :( I'm in tears. What ever am I going to do because Fishkiller got himself in a little tizzy?:( :(
IM GOING TO KICK HIM SQUARE IN THE HEAD NEXT TIME I SEE HIM. :eek:
But seriously,
I had no idea what those things were. I was throwing out an idea. Sponge huh? Interesting. Now that I read this, I believe I may have had a similar growth on some new LR. That makes sense. Either way... see if I offer anymore advice to you fishkiller. Better yet, let's see what a gallon of bleach as top-off water does to your tank. Or your FACE. :D
:confused: <---- Fishkiller