id needed please, (and thank you)

donald

I bought a mushroom rock the other day from my LFS and it had these two things growing on it. I dont know what they are so I turn to yall and the accumulated knoweledge that is SWF.com. I only paid 30$ for the rock with 20 mushrooms on it so i think its a deal, but let me know. Thanks for the ID.

spanko

This my friend is a great score!!!!!!!!!!
In the first pic they look to be some sort of Anthia.
However the second pic is the one that has me excited, It is a Fungia plate coral. Now that in itself is a great hitcher. But above that you now have a growth site. This coral will eventually get large enough that it will dislodge itself from the rock to take it's natural place in the sand. Not the end of it though. This site will continue to grow new plates. They will be so tiny at first you won't even know they are there, but they will be. And they will grow. It takes months for this to happen but happen it will.
Congrats on a great purchase.
Now the question is do you have the lighting and husbandry habits to keep this and it's successors thriving?

donald

Thanks for making me excited and worried spanko!!!!!!!!! Dang now it have to worry about keeping that little guys alive. ARGGGG the pressure never stops, ha ha ha. I have the rock under t-5,s 4 54watt bulbs and the location is about half way up in the tank. The little plate coral looks bigger than when i bought it and he seems happy, always has soft tissue extended and tenticles out. it is a little smaller than a dime right now. I feed oyster eggs every day and phytoplankton every three or four days. haw does that sound? The tank is 6 months old and i have no trates or trites (good refugium). Thanks for the id i though it was a plate coral of some kind. The girl at th LFS said it was a blasto but , i knew better.

reefer545

HUGE score!!!!!!!!! Congrats! I have been wanting a fungia plate rock for a long time, but I cant find them for less a hundred bucks, and that is with just a few or up to 6 little plates on it. Nice find my friend. Enjoy it, take care of it. You'll love it I am certain. If not, send it my way. ha.