ID: Ohhh man who is this in my rock???

jchmiel

I don't know what this is, but he's been in my rock for who knows how long. I seen him in my tank the first time about 2 months ago. Can anyone ID him?

michaeltx

I was thinking medussa worm but I dont think so after all because medussa have longer tenticals on around the mouth.
humm let see what I can find.
Mike

petjunkie

Does it have bristles like a bristleworm because I had a worm with antenna like that and found out it was a eunicid worm. Can be bad because they will eat coral when they get hungry enough. They bore holes in the rock and almost never come out all the way. Mine reached out far enough to grab the worm trap and drag it closer so he could eat the bait.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Mine reached out far enough to grab the worm trap and drag it closer so he could eat the bait.

S

sudc

Definitely not a cucumber. Looks like it may be a Eunicid worm. Do a google search for them. If it is a eunicid, you should probably try and remove him.

S

scoobs

Good point.. Hmm
Also in his pic that one looks like it maybe missing one or two if you look at the way they are arranged.
The antennas are segmented very similarly.

petjunkie

Not sure if you want him out or not but mine came out when I dumped hot tap water through its holes, I had to remove the rock to do this and unfortunatly killed him in the process, he started heading back in before all the way out and I ripped him into three pieces getting him totally out. It was twice as big as I had thought, I was wearing gloves just in cause. My problem was it was in a 2.5 gallon so I couldn't put traps out of his reach.
I just thought of something else, have you ever seen it eat because they have scary jaws that are very distictive.