ID Please????

memole

Well I finally caught three of these crabs. had to pretty much dismantle all my live rock to do it but I got all of them.... I think this crab ate my sandshifting star... does anybody know what this kind of crab this is??? thanks
Chris

bot587

It has hairy legs and a spiny back like an emerald, but i think bang is right. Unless.... is that glass yellow?

viper_930

Originally posted by Bot587
It has hairy legs and a spiny back like an emerald, but i think bang is right. Unless.... is that glass yellow?

Red mithrax crabs also has hairy legs and a spiny back.

memole

He was bright red and yes the glass is yellow... a couple little spikes on the back...
I just spotted today a all haory crab, he is more white and its claws have black tips.... any ideas on that one... If this was an emarld crab I guess I should have left him in the tank???? no I feel back I took him out....
thanks
Chris

memole

so it was a good thing to take them out since they are the red Mithrax???? I hope so...Thanks
Chris

spline9

I think red mithrax is just as good as emerald. The other guy, the hairy/black-tip one. I dont think hes so good. Quite possibly a gorilla crab. If so, a definate suspect for the murder of a star.

dragonboy

I have one with white hair and white tip claws and the color of the crap is kind of blackish. So I guess mines is mantrix crab as well.

bang guy

Originally posted by dragonboy
the color of the crap is kind of blackish. So I guess mines is mantrix crab as well.

Wow, you're good. I can identify some mammals by their crap but no marine animals.

memole

Well I got a picture of the other crab...I think this might be the star killer???
any ideas on how to cacth this guy???? he is pretty fast. thanks

goblue

take a glass and put some food in the bottom, then lean it up agianst the rock the crab lives in. The crab will go into the glass to get the food but won't be able to climb up the sides to get out. I used the same method to catch a stone crab in a friend's tank once. He fell for it the first night.

memole

What keeps the fish from going into the glass to get the food???
or to float out???
thanks I will try it

bang guy

load the bottom of the glass with reef rubble so nothing can get to the food but everything can smell the food.

houseplant

Are red mithrax good guys or bad guys and will they clash with emeralds? also who is the best at eating cyno bacteria?:notsure: