ID please

bluegirl

I know the picture isn't great, but it's the best that i got. Sticking out from my live rock, appears to be a clam like creature. I just noticed tonight that it opens about 1/4 inch wide and closes itself, it also seems to stick out a tentacle or an arm at times. It has coralline on the bottom half of it's shell(?) and just plain white on the top part. I hesitat to say it's a clam even though clearly it looks like it to me. Wanted to get you guys opinions. Of course, my attention hungry cleaner shrimp, Jaques had to get in the pic. ***)

vanquish

I have trouble seeing what is in the indicated portion of your picture... is it the purple stuff? I see no clam.

bluegirl

Sorry, bad picture. I give up. Yep the purple is that bottom half, the white stuff above it is the top half of the "clam". What I'd give for a better camera. lol Thanks to all who looked.

vanquish

Lol oh well... Id say keep an eye on it, see if it gets any larger. could have something interesting on your hands ;)

bluegirl

Originally Posted by Vanquish
By the way, your hound is really cute :) Reminds me of a childhood dog I used to have.
Thanks! She's a great dane! :jumping:

bluegirl

Originally Posted by Salty Cheese
It might be a Turkey Wing clam(Arca zebra). :happyfish
I believe you are correct, we'll see as it grows. It looks like the pics of the arca that I looked up. Thanks for the ID!! :jumping:

turningtim

Hey blue is this it? I found this thing a couple months ago. had no clue what it was.
My kids call it "The Thing"! I thought it was some kind of mussel.
Hope you can see it!
Tim

turningtim

Yep, Thats how I found it. I was feeding with a pipett (sp) and it moved, I saw out of the corner of my eye and scared the life out of me! So I watched for a while. It opens very slowly and kinda pushs away from the rock a bit. When something swims by it closes real fast. I got my tank from somebody else that had it for 4-5 years and I showed it to them and they never saw it either. This pic is several months old and I've tweeked it on my puter to see it. it may .75". Very strange little thing. I would love to know what the true color is, right now its half purple and green from algea.
Tim

pilar

I'd be curious if there are any other ideas about this clam type creature. I found two similar "clams" on the trunk of one of my frogspawsn. It looks like two clams formed in the bark if you will of the trunk of the frogspawn. It opens and closes just like a clam the shell does not resemble anything.