ID Please!!

Everynight for the past couople of weeks there has been these very long tentacle things coming out of my base rock. As soon as I shine light on it they tentacles quickly go into one of the holes int he rock. All of the tentacles come out of the same hole and are very thin and very long. I bought the rock from my lfs as base rock but when I bought it it was wet as if it were taken out of a tank a little bit before I bought it. Can anyone help. i dont have a digital camera.

aliciak

I have them too and after checking these boards and other websites I've figured they are tiny serpent starfish. So far I have 2 whitish ones and one red/blue banded one.

brewercm

Sounds like spaghetti worms here also. Are they alternating colors? I have a bunch of them also and they started in what I think was one rock but now are all over at night.

flydan

Hey,
You can do a search on sessile snails for more info. I believe the worms that have been described fall under this type of critter. When I give my tank the ol' hurricane treatment I have hundreds of them.
HTH,
Dan'l

E

elan

Originally posted by disdominican
Anyone have pics so that I can verify.

E

elan

i may add... from my inqueries, they are harmless and are good at eating detrius... And, if you baught base rock, and got this, i am betting you got alot more of other good live stuff... .so you got live rock at base rock prices.... Good Job!!