Id Please

X

xxchris060

I was cleaning out my filter and noticed a bunch of Little rolli polloy looking things what are they. I tried to take a pic but they are too small to with the camera. Are they bad or good.

steve40

I noticed some on mine last night as well, they are harmless filter feeders. I left mine alone. The only time i scrape them off is when they start to grow on my glass. I would leave them there, they are probably good for filtration.

X

xxchris060

no i have those too. But these move around and kinda swim. Looks maybe more like a shrimp with ton of legs and very small.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by xxchris060
are those bad?

Not at all! They're quite benificial. There's a few species of parasitic isopods (which often cling to fish), although it's generally uncommon to see these amphipods in aquariums. Unless you see these isopods nipping at your hands in the tank, or you see "bug-like creatures" hanging onto fish, you'll have nothing to worry about. Most of these invertibrates (or "Bugs") will often eat detritus, left over fish food and fish waste.
Graham

jonthefb

probably a gammarus Shrimp if it looks like a roly poly and scoots around with its butt curled under itself
good luck and these guys are excellent microalgae grazers!
jon

chinnyr

Yes,they probably are.We used to call them sand fleas when I lived on the west coast.When I was a kid and played in the surf/tidepools they would get in your shorts and itch when they moved around.:D