ID Please

roscoe ii

Can anybody ID this for me ASAP. I think it is a Bristle Worm. Do I want it in my tank or not. Came out of LR just installed in tank.

roscoe ii

I diddn't mean to say attack. I meant attach to Fish, Brittle Star, Flame Scallop. What are the bennies of a Bristle worm? I see traps for them and others saying they were attached to other fish..... Good for substrate and Algae?

bang guy

They cannot attach to fish either.
They clean up leftover food and dead animals. Many a reef tank has been saved because they cleaned up a dead animal that otherwise would have created an ammonia spike.

joemack

I found a NEW worm that I have not read about. Last night I saw a worm that looked like a spegetti stick that has not been softened. It was really straight and about 8-10 inches. I touched it and it has hard and streched. Then it quickly retracted.
Everyday I find something new and cool. Dont trip over finding things. 99% of things are your grave yard shift janitors

roscoe ii

Thanks for all the quick responses. I guess I will keep the little guy for now. Looks as if he has snuggled up just under my Flame Scallop for now.
Thanks again.

bang guy

There is a situation you have that I would like to predict. You see, Flame Scallops take about 4 - 6 months to starve in an aquarium. We just do not have enough of the correct food to feed them. Don't worry, they have no brain and they are not endangered or anything, just enjoy it while you have it :)
But... in 4 - 6 months you're going to find an empty shell with a really fat bristle worm (or 12) in it. These worms did NOT kill your File Clam, they were just cleaning up the Clam AFTER it died. Bristle Worms usually get blamed for killing the Clam but in fact, they saved the rest of the tank from a rotting dead clam.
Guy