ID small seastar

Can any one tell me what kind of sea star this is? It is less then 3/4" in size and has been in the tank for 3 months at least. Hitch hicker. I saw it the day I put the new coral in and then today. Not one other sighting in 3 months.

kiddie lala

Originally Posted by AlbFishin'
Agree, although mine aren't as dark. :notsure:

There are many types of these star fish which vary in color. Some people say that they have seen them chomp on there corals. But as for me, I've never seen this happen. I find them benifical as they eat my algea.

albfishin'

Originally Posted by Kiddie LaLa
There are many types of these star fish which vary in color. Some people say that they have seen them chomp on there corals. But as for me, I've never seen this happen. I find them benifical as they eat my algea.

Yep.... I've counted six in my tank now (I assume they hitched their way in)and I'm not having any probs with them and my coral. They seem to be going about their daily clean-up routine.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Kiddie LaLa

most species of this sea star are benificial, some are known to be predatory on corals though. it really hard to specificly ID the individual species, just keep an eye on them most people have no problems, I myself dont take the risk and remove any I see, but if you like them and dont notice any corals getting chomped then there really is no reason to remove them. the do breed prolificly in an aquarium, so eventually they may end up out competeing your snails for food.

fallnhorse

I didn't have any i could see a year ago. Now i have 8 of them. i've heard up to the 100's of them and never hurting anything. Just at long they aren't the ones that eat coral. But they aren't common. More than likely they are beneficial.