ID this cracker!

bronco300

Well I've never officially figured out this was....so someone tell me, and an effective to rid my tank of it....it is possibly the WORST algae i've ever had....it is leafy, and grows in layers...so there is a TON of contact between it and whatever it grows on...so getting it off is almost impossible, so then it just grows back....I should beat myself for thinking that little patch of algae a year and half ago was so cool because it looked metallicy....

renogaw

i like it, i'd honestly love for my whole back of the tank to be covered by a macro algae.
is it a type of gracilaria?

bronco300

its possible......but reno give me your address and i'll send you all you want....itd be fine if it stayed on the walls...but it does not...maybe if i had it under control it would stay just on glass, then id be ok...but since i let it grow on rocks, it makes it even harder to get rid of

reefkprz

Sargassum hystrix I'm about 75% sure of that but could be wrong, can you get me a clear close up of the base and "stalk"?

bronco300

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/2607589
Beautiful tank. I love the zoa's!

Thanks
Originally Posted by reefkprZ

http:///forum/post/2607602
Sargassum hystrix I'm about 75% sure of that but could be wrong, can you get me a clear close up of the base and "stalk"?
I'll try, but there isnt really a base, the feathery parts just grab anything and everything and grow out, and attach, and grow

renogaw

well, technically only a little wrong, since the dictyota is part of the sargassum family :)
says tangs should eat it, but unfortunately if they eat enough it can poison them.

bronco300

oh yay, chemicel defense...my urchin was on the wal a couple days ago, hopefully he tried it...and is immune to them...and will kill it all!!!! i have two so i may put the other on the wall to see what he does

ci11337

I've heard gold spotted rabbit fish will eat just about every type of algae. IDK for sure if they will eat that stuff though.

keri

Originally Posted by ci11337
http:///forum/post/2607874
I've heard gold spotted rabbit fish will eat just about every type of algae. IDK for sure if they will eat that stuff though.
+1 - I've heard 2 barred rabbitfish

zarro

Hey pull the stuff out of your tank .or get your self a Yellow Tang they eat any thing. thats how i keep the algae down
in my tank. i have a purple tang and kole tang, they keep my tank clean. like to see a better pic

bronco300

haha, not really what i consider an "outbreak" since its been here a while, and showed up slowly...it usually just stays in the lit areas...but its impossible to pull the stuff out and not have it grow back...its like caulerpa and how it aattaches everywhere the vine touches...so i just do touch ups once it gets too bad...then onmce i get the new tank running hopefully i can fix it.

A

allenk

I had what appears to be the same thing in my tank for awhile. It essentially spread and tried to take over the tank. I tried pulling it out by hand. I tried scrubbing the rocks. Nothing I did would stop it. It would grow in between my zoos. It is truly a devil weed.
Then, I learned on this board that a Naso tang will eat that stuff. So, I let it grow out of control and then bought a tang. Within a few months, the tang ate every speck of it. It was astonishing how much one of those will eat. For awhile, I removed the tang. The stuff grew back!!! You could actually see it beginning within a few days. So, now the tang is in their full time now. I supplement feeding the tang with a red macro algae.
I was so grateful to the tang that at the end of the Summer I am buying a new tank (150-180 gallon) to house it.