ID this 'creature' please

i love fish

Last yr when I first set up my DT b4 it crashed I found this weird looking thing in my aquarium. I don't have any pictures of it so I will try n describe it as best as i can......
It's black, has many legs(kind of like a centipede), has claws at the front like a shrimp, an elongated body(like a shrimp), is about 2 -3 inches long,moves very quickly and kind of glides over the rocks, and sleeps in holes in the LR.
It's claws r very strong and when it tries to crack open clam shells u can hear it from a distance.
It's very ugly and scary looking. Eats ur dead fish and anything else it can find, I think it even tries 2 eat ur fish in their sleep.
Ok, any ideas. This thing used 2 creep me out big time, I still have nightmares about it. Was it a bad thing? If i ever find another 1 like it should I destroy it?

reefkprz

lots of people consider them pests others consider them pets. personally I would try and trap and sell it/give it away, but be careful it can injure you (they are nicknamed thumb splitters for a reason)

i love fish

thanks, i don't have it or it's many, many babies anymore, coz this was last yr b4 my entire DT crashed and i lost everything with it, but now at least I know that if I ever find another 1 in my tank again 2 get rid of it.
I've heard alot of bad things about mantis shrimps, but I didn't think they were black in color.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by i love fish
http:///forum/post/2607304
thanks, i don't have it or it's many, many babies anymore, coz this was last yr b4 my entire DT crashed and i lost everything with it, but now at least I know that if I ever find another 1 in my tank again 2 get rid of it.
I've heard alot of bad things about mantis shrimps, but I didn't think they were black in color.
there are several types of stomatopod (mantis) usually people picture the peacock mantis when they hear the name but there are several types.
some are dark green enough to appear black