ID This Hitchhiker Please

damselz

noticed this thing crawling around in one of my live rocks. we tried to tempt it out with krill and it would come out a little and something that looked like its tongue would snap out at the krill like it was attacking or something. we thought it was a mantis shrimp. so we cracked open the rock and pulled this out. what is it? doesn't look like a mantis shrimp.

J

jrthomas40

cant really see the head or appendages well...but if it were a mantis shrimp....it would look like the insect praying mantis

seannmelly

the bristles on it kinda makes it look like a bristle worm? but the body dont.....hmmmm. some will have the answer im sure.

reefkprz

it is a type of bristle worm (not sure of the exact type but a bristle worm it is)
Most are excellent detritivores some are predatory since I am not familiar with that type I cant tell you whether its safe or not. sorry

damselz

about 2 inches and like half an inch thick. he responds to light. like he stays still until a light is shined on him. he moves like away from it

birdmom

Something about the pic makes me question my initial response..
Another possibility might be a type of scale worm...
Can you get a clear shot of the vital body parts?
Birdmom

damselz

Just look at photos of scale worms and that is exactly what it is but nothing says if it is bad or good. I'm assuming it is bad.

birdmom

Originally Posted by damselz
Just look at photos of scale worms and that is exactly what it is but nothing says if it is bad or good. I'm assuming it is bad.
Happy Holidays!

If you get a chance try looking up Twelve-scaled Worm (Lepidonotus squamatus). One of the characteristics is to roll up in a ball like an armadillo.
My field guide book only gives info for identification & habitat so I am unable to say if it is safe in a enclosed enviroment.
Birdmom