ID this thing? (PIC)

j21kickster

just started growing recently and i am clueless- havent seen any thing like it - looks like that flat fungus that grows on trees and is red in color with orange spots on the rim- it is about the size of a quarter- sorry about the pic-:rolleyes: it is growing out from the rock and not flat on it- it is soft- to add

piscesblue

It sure looks like a nudibranch in that pic, but being an employee of a petstore, I figure you know better than that.

j21kickster

not a sponge- it is smooth - it looks like living animal tissue- not algae - i cant get any closer but it would look just the same not texture just flat red layers and orange spots on the outside.

dinhouse

Man don't quote me but it looks sorta like ...... a red growth coming out of your live Rock. Hey you wanted more guesses. Dude what ever it is it looks cooler that Sh%T! I say you wait a few weeks to make sure it doesn't eat your tank, then you frag it and send a piece this way!

j21kickster

thanks for the guess but it is not a tunicate- the structure looks similar to lettuce leaves with not texture and the orange spots- theay are flat and grow perpendicular to the rock, where are our pros at?

wamp

Got me.. Still looks like a carnation to me. Does it have a center stalk like a leather coral? You could always cut it and see if it heals:D

j21kickster

no it is not like most soft corals- no polyps, no central stalk, semitransparent tissue, reminds me also of plate corals growing above eachother but they arent all connected, 100% sure not carnation- has very slippery feel to it. I dont know even where to start??

j21kickster

here is another pic from a front view- you can kindof see the layers better- bty that white stuff is superglue- a crab chipped off the small rock it wes growing too so i put it back where it was

ilovetangs

where did you get the lr or coral whatever it is. because my dad might be right. the sand from the african desert might be affecting the lr and corals in the atlantic ocean. let me know please