ID white dots on my glass?

nctarheels

could this be ich parasites? its tiny white spots on my glass, too small to photo. they look like circles with tentacles. please help

atrialfib22

Originally Posted by nctarheels
http:///forum/post/2573430
could this be ich parasites? its tiny white spots on my glass, too small to photo. they look like circles with tentacles. please help
Ich wouldn't present itself on the glass...it needs a host to develop to the stage where it would look like white spots. Do you have any snails or such?
What else do you have in the tank?

nctarheels

i have a full cleaning crew, a clownfish, and mushrooms. the clown is fine, so maybe this could be some sort of algae because there are like 3-5 per sq in

mikesin

Two things come to mind, substrate from the bottom of the tank "caught" on snail slime, or if you only see them at night (ours hide during the dyay, then maybe tiny snails, photo's look like :

I have something that looks like that on my tank too. Only on the back and not on the sides or front. When I in there to clean it seemed like they were hard and broke up into a powdery substance. It didn't seem to multiply or get worse. I wondered what that was.

T

tizzo

Pj, yours are most likely spirorbid worms. Just search these boards for a pic to confirm.
Fishy, see how benficial it is to have the best camera in the world?!
LOL

nctarheels

thanks that is them. i have a tiny clownfish in my tank and i woke up this morning and it looked like he was all scratched up. could the hydroids do any kind of damage to a really small fish?

T

tizzo

No, they don't go after fish. If a fish runs into one, it might get stung, but it's barely feelable, otherwise I'd be all kinds of scared to put my hands in the tank.
Something else happened to your clown... Have a coral banded by any chance?

jimhartwick

In the last 2 days, I have had the number of white dots increase on the side of my tank by 100 fold. They are whites dots with a small tail, that they used to swim around the tank. In-addition, my fish are also covered with white dots in the last two days. Last night, I change 10% of the the water and again this morning and this has help clear up allot of the white dots on the fish and also some of them on the glass. I am highly concern on the volume of the white dots and the rate they reproduce. I have a full clean up crew in the tank. The tank has been setup for 7 weeks.
The other problem I have is the water ever goes completely clear, there are always small items floating in the water, almost looks like the same white dots. The tank is a Red Seas with the complete water cleaning system builded in.
Help!!!

What do I need to do to resolve the problem?

rc cola

I just saw tiny white sanils in my tank too.. i was able to get a pretty good close up shot of them..if you look close you can see is little antler thingys!
to get an estimate of how small this guy is, look at the glass, the foggy stuff is an actually algea bloom.
Is this what yours looks like?
if not , any ideas?

T

tizzo

I think his "white dot with a small tail" is a copepod.

If they are carrying eggs they look like little figure 8's...