IDEA ALERT: getting zoas, xenia and gsp to grow on glass

kilofey

So I always read threads where someone has gotten their zoas or gsp to grow up onto the glass, then you get people who think its super cool and wanna know how its done and the person just says iono, it was just touching the glass and it did it on its own...
So I had an idea today and im trying it out, stop me if this idea is already being done... Ive never heard of it.
Take a suction cup and glue whatever frag you want to cover your glass onto the suctioncup and stick it in the center of the wall and *voila* the polyps have no choice but to grow onto the glass
Currently I have 3 polyps glued to my suction cup. And another piece touching the glass. I am going to see which works better. I chose these because they are my quickest growing zoas. Ill keep the thread updated... But hey, if u dont wanna wait, grab a spare suction cup and try it out... Couldnt hurt :)

kilofey

Haha, well, if it does... These are my cheapest zoas and I have tons of them... Prolly a few hundred... So of I lose 3 behind the rockwork cause the suction cup falls off before one can attatch, I wont be too broken hearted... BUT if it does... Ill just go buy a bigger suction cup :laughing:
My urchin would prolly go retrieve it for me anyway lol... Shes always grabbing things from behind the rock and bringing it to the forefront... She retrieved one of my rics for me :) it was bleached when she got it back for me, but it made a full recovery
Btw, why do some people say its not a good idea to have urchins with coral? Is it only because they knock coral over and eat coralline or is there another reason I am unaware of? I have a pincushion and a purple urchin and they dont do any harm. The purple is an angel, stays behind the rock eating garbage, the pincushion picks up a hermit from time to time but it leaves my coral alone for the most part. They came with my rock, the guy said either u take them or im going to dry them out and use them as bathroom decor.

snakeblitz33

Lol.
Eh.
Bigger they get the more they will knock stuff over. You will eventually get pissed off at em like that dude. Lol.
I just glue my stuff directly to the glass. Never used suction cups.
Ive been thinking really hard about my next tank and what I want to accomplish.
I like barebottom, but I'm thinking about a gsp garden on the bottom and something growing up the sides and hen have SPS corals on a few rocks. Minimalist setup.

kilofey

I love gsp on the bottom, its so pretty. I would do it with mine but for some reason, the gsp I have are incredibly picky. Even my 2 sps took to my tank better than they did. They are FINALLY in a place they like and inching their way across the rockwork ever so slowly. Cant figure out why they dont like my tank. Everything else grows better than they do... Wierd ones they are.
U could glue it to ur tank wall, but I wouldnt... Im jus wierd about it I suppose lol
Btw, I always assumed ur avatar was u (cause the pic is small on my phone).... "the dude abides!" :laughing: im diggin it

snakeblitz33

Lol.
Eh. My tanks are like my books. I abuse them. Lol.
Yeah, Jeff bridges from the big Lebowski. One of my all time favorite movies and characters. I wish my hair was thick like his. I probably would wear it long.
You think I'm some old hairy dude behind my keyboard? Lol

kilofey

Haha, I suppose I usually dont study peoples avatar... Until u said the word dude in ur post and the pic happened to catch my eye, wierd how that works. Its my boyfriends favorite movie too. They have a shirt at target right now that says the dude abides. I bought it for him. We quote the movie alot when we are at home. He quotes it whenever, but I keep it at home cause most people dont really get the humour
Ps- I guess I must be a clown fish sitting in my anemone 24/7 behind my keyboard :rotfl:

kilofey

i like this idea... keep me posted on how it goes as im interested in doing the same.
Ill definately keep u posted... Btw, since we are talking about avatars... Your tank is gorgeous! I love the rainbow colors youve got goin on. What lights are you using?

thanks i just upgraded my tank a few weeks ago and transferred everything out of that little 45 gal hex to a 90 gal bowfront. I was using a 119 light 240 watt led panel One switch controlled 63 blue 460nm One switch controlled 56 white 14000k

kilofey

I had to get a bigger suction cup, but other than that, so far so good. Zoas dont grow particularly fast in my tank, but at least Im using the quickest growers. I LOVE your tank btw, sorry I didnt reply at the time. I was driving when I looked at it, then I just forgot to reply.

kilofey

Thank you! post up some pics when you get the chance.
Snake was right.... The suction cup wont stay very well... Im thinking of using maginets instead.