Idea

whitey_028

anyone ever try the tubular skylights over their fishtanks instead of a halide? They have been tested in a lab to do 100% of the white light spectrum and depending on size of tube could be equivielent to a 500 watt halide? there would be no need for high electric bills or cooling as it gives off little heat compared to a halide?

maxalmon

There's a great discussion on the other forum site about "SolaTubes", Most who use them have had remarkable success with coral growth.

scsinet

I would expect this would work.... in fact, as I think about it, I'm in a great position to do it... hmmm might be worth looking into :thinking: :thinking:

watson3

I thought there was a thread way back on this site where a guy had pics and everything of his

hot883

Are you talking about the skylights that you cut through your roof and direct the day light down through a reflective tube?

maxalmon

Whats really interesting is the "Green House" style growout systems people install in their backyards, no lighting at all, just natural sunlight and moonlight. I've been seriously thinking about settign up either a greenhouse system or moving over to the solatubes.

reefforbrains

Most everyone knows I am a fanatic. I got the ok from the wife to do the project with downtubes, . but after researching them it would take a very large hole to get enough light.
My findings might be way off, but I was told by all the sources I investigated that one square meter at noon =1000 watt output. The soler tubes had two disadvantages for my set up. 1st I needed to put 6 in, Wife is supportive but even I had to think about the long term affects of making swiss cheese of the reef room's cieling. 2nd drawback was the downtubes, in order to get the light where I need it I would have to port the light too far and spread wouldnt be practical, not to mention my window of availability for usable penetrating light at the dropped level..... damn vaulted cielings. But they do sound like a good cheap solution to good quality light if they fit your set up.

tx reef

Originally Posted by acrylic51
I think the natural light would be great, but corals also need the blue spectrum as well.

Corals grow just fine under natural light in the wild......they do not "need" actinic lighting or any additional blue spectrum lighting to grow.

whitey_028

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Corals grow just fine under natural light in the wild......they do not "need" actinic lighting or any additional blue spectrum lighting to grow.
thats what i was thinking...

whitey_028

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I used a couple of their tubes to make reflectors for my MHs. They reflect nearly 100 %
you have any pics?

acrylic51

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Depends where the corals come from!!!!!!! :thinking:

T

tizzo

Natural sunlight produces the full spectrum. The corals that benefit most from the blue part of that are usually deeper where the water has filtered out the red, orange, yellow etc..., but that does not mean that exposure will harm the coral.
I would worry however that sulight will produce more algae, since it is sunlight, and the red side of the spectrum is blasting your tank full force and greens love that red light...
I get that the heat is not an issue, but I would worry that the light spectrum is not the most beneficial for your tank.