Ideal parameters for SPS

C

cmaxwell39

I was just wondering what everyones targets are in their SPS tanks for Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity. Thanks.

trippkid

420 PPM on CA, 8-9DKH for Alk(slowly going up though, salt batches have increased I think along with my CA reactor bumping it up slightly), and above 1300 PPM for Mag (usually around 1400 when I test it) is what I run my system at.
Matt

C

cmaxwell39

FWIW my targets are real close to yours trippkid. 420 Cal 8-9 dkh and 1300 mag. I am by no means an expert and just thought it would be interesting to see where people that have had some success with SPS run their tanks.

gatorwpb

I shoot for 450 calc, 7.5-8.0 alk and 1300-1400 mag although I rarely test for it. I like my pH 7.8-8.2 and temp 77-79.

steelytom

I have recently started dripping kalk and holding at a steady 9dkh, 440 calcium and my mag was 1350 last time I tested. But it has been about six months since I tested mag. I have seen better color and PE since I started dripping kalk. Mainly because I am able to keep parameters stable. I have also started dosing seachem amino acids so that may have contributed to the color and PE.

lilbuddha

Originally Posted by steelytom
http:///forum/post/2910373
I have recently started dripping kalk and holding at a steady 9dkh, 440 calcium and my mag was 1350 last time I tested. But it has been about six months since I tested mag. I have seen better color and PE since I started dripping kalk. Mainly because I am able to keep parameters stable. I have also started dosing seachem amino acids so that may have contributed to the color and PE.
If you are dripping kalk . Imho invest in a magnesum test kit .Kalk depletes magnesium over time . Kent Tech M is an okay supplement as it has magnesium sulfate and magnesium chloride.
Let's not forget we want to curtail phosphates and nitrates too as they can inhibit growth .
BTW I keep levels @
400 calcium
7-8 dkh
1400 + magnesium

steelytom

Thank you, I did not know that. I guess i will have to order one online. For some reason none of my lfs carry them. One store has a Seachem one for $52, but that just seemed outrageous. That would probably explain why my kh drops a lot faster than my calcium. I still have to dose buffer even with the kalk, but not much.

lilbuddha

Originally Posted by steelytom
http:///forum/post/2913963
Thank you, I did not know that. I guess i will have to order one online. For some reason none of my lfs carry them. One store has a Seachem one for $52, but that just seemed outrageous. That would probably explain why my kh drops a lot faster than my calcium. I still have to dose buffer even with the kalk, but not much.
YW ,
I try to patronize the lfs but some items should be just mail ordered .The Seachem is the pits to use . Or it used to be . Try Salifert or Elos . I only can vouch for Salifert and it is easy to use .