Ideas for 38G hexagonal tank

fishlover1

I currently picked up a cheap 38g hexagonal tank from a friend. After doing some research I'm considering doing a FOWLR tank. I did a search for hexagonal tanks and didn't get any hits, so I thought I would ask the community what they thought.
Thanks for any replies,
fishlover1

9supratt4

Not sure what suggestions you are looking for...are you wondering about filtration? Fish?? What??

fishlover1

I'm sorry, yes. I'm looking for fish suggestions. From what I've read online, not many people like hexagon tanks because they force fish to swim up/down/circles. What I'm looking for are fish that don't continually swim left to right, or fish that up and down swim patterns.

teresaq

a lot depends on what you like. here are a few that would work
pair of clowns, pair of bangii, clown gobie
or
pair of clowns, firefish, pair of neon gobies, bi-color blenny
No tangs at all.

fishlover1

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3256776
a lot depends on what you like. here are a few that would work
pair of clowns, pair of bangii, clown gobie
or
pair of clowns, firefish, pair of neon gobies, bi-color blenny
No tangs at all.
Thank you for your suggestions! I know for sure I want at least one clown. Limit is probably 4-5 fish from what I've read.

fishlover1

Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3256777
why not have them swim around the tank in a circle with some rock in the middle?
I plan on having live rock going up the back fairly high, it would ruin their ability to swim in a circle. Some people also consider it cruel!

mproctor4

Dottybacks or flame hawk fish? A six line wrasse would probably be okay too, they tend to weave in and out of rock rather than up/down or side to side.
I don't necessarily think it is cruel to have a circular swim pattern as long as the tank isn't overstocked and there is plenty of rock in the middle for them to hide in. If you used epoxy or pvc on the rock to really secure it well you could have a high column of rock. Just my .02

fishlover1

Originally Posted by mproctor4
http:///forum/post/3256875
Dottybacks or flame hawk fish? A six line wrasse would probably be okay too, they tend to weave in and out of rock rather than up/down or side to side.
I don't necessarily think it is cruel to have a circular swim pattern as long as the tank isn't overstocked and there is plenty of rock in the middle for them to hide in. If you used epoxy or pvc on the rock to really secure it well you could have a high column of rock. Just my .02
When you say it like, I can picture it a little better. I feel like that would make a great centerpiece for a room. I'm planning on putting this against a wall, so 180 degrees of the view (maybe 100) would be wasted.
Thanks for the flame hawk idea! Since I only plan on having a few fish, I want them to be colorful. Little worried about its tempermant though.

rlablan

I like the circle idea. And just because it's against a wall, doesn't mean it'll be wasted. It will make your life easier in that you will be able to see more and not be like "I can't see back there, I can't see where my fish went." The more viewable space, the better. :0)

bornagain

Hexagon tank would be really sweet in the center of a room. If you could somehow keep the plumbing hidden, it would be awesome.
For fish suggestions: Gotta love the clown pair. Lots of Blennies like to jump from rock to rock, they will go up down, side to side. Some sort of wrasse would do the trick. I've never owned a 6-line wrasse, but whenever I see them, they tend to be moving around the tank a lot.

dingus890

Sounds like a cool idea! Just make sure you have alot of surface agitation as with taller hex tanks there is less oxygen exchange at the surface for the fish to breath. I would put a few power heads in the tank maybe a small whirlpool and one power head pointed toward the surface.
If you have the funds one of those coral reef inserts like instant reef would be really cool for s FO tank.
Fish wise for a peaceful tank, you could have a clownfish,pajama cardinal(or Kaudern's Cardinal),firefish(or purple firefish) and sixline wrasse. For a more aggressive tank you could have a Flame hawkfish(or longnose hawkfish), Purple or bi-color Pseudochromis(very aggressive though) pygmy angelfish(Cherub or coral beauty) and a sixline wrasse.
Hope these ideas help :)