Ideas for a algae eating fish for a 55g.

smork81

I need a good algae eater for my 55 g. First i need to get rid of a small bit of hair algae..It's not a huge problem anymore but there is a bit left over. I just want a long term maintanence fish for algae. Also it is a 55g display for the time being total water volume though is roughly 125g with sump and fuge. I will be upgrading to a larger tank when i get my tax returns in;so soon it will be over a 100g tank. I wanted you guys to keep that in mind for the fish I will be getting. I want one fish that will eventually get large that is reef safe with inverts and corals sps and lps that eats algae. I will soon be placing an order today on SWF.com so i need idea quick. Ive done a bit of research and what I have come up with so far is a scopas tang or yellow tang. Since in a few months the 100g or more most likely will be set up I see no problems in either of these two fish but I wanted more ideas....Of something I can get off this website.
Thanks

ecooper

Originally Posted by renogaw
lawnmower blenny
They're cool too... My coral beauty only nips at things and doesn't clean anywhere near like my blenny.

big

I do not thing there is anything much prettier than my Lawn Mower. They just have to be about the coolest fish around. Plus they love eating green stuff! We have had this guy almost two years now, a great fish.

wangotango

Originally Posted by maddog0118
a cool looking fish....are they reef fish or fish only
Reef safe.
-Justin

smork81

My LMB just died that is why I was asking about another kind maybe something a bit more colorfull...but yes I do agree 100% they are the coolest fish with alot of personality!

renogaw

Originally Posted by Smork81
My LMB just died that is why I was asking about another kind maybe something a bit more colorfull...but yes I do agree 100% they are the coolest fish with alot of personality!

i've seen some orange spotted lmbs which are just absolutely beautiful.
my coral beauty will chew at the algae on the outlets of my powerheads when i turn them off. the only thing in my tank that actually chews on the algae are my mexican turbos.

sepulatian

the only thing in my tank that actually chews on the algae are my mexican turbos.
That is what I was thinking. Why don't you get a snail or two?

smork81

Well ive got a few kinds of snails and hermits and they don't seem to do any job of taking care of hair algae...MAybe mine just don't like it..ive got some huge snails too..the largest one is almsot 3 inches across and his little foot on the glass he moves on is longer than his shell...ive got about five or 6 other large ones that are atleat 2 inches or more and alot of small ones..So no more snails lol I really wanted to spend about 60 bucks or so on a nice fish that would take care of algae and eat plant matter and nori sheets and somethign thats colorfull to add to my tank.
Nika

stdreb27

I haven't had any luck with fish eating algea, but snails will do it, just have to get enough of them. I don't think they will take on hair algea though

metweezer

Originally Posted by big
I do not thing there is anything much prettier than my Lawn Mower. They just have to be about the coolest fish around. Plus they love eating green stuff! We have had this guy almost two years now, a great fish.

I plan on getting a Lawnmower shortly. They say that they have a great personality and your pics confirm this. Great job

Steve

corsogirl

I think I've gotten all the little critters suggested on here and my hair algae is still getting out of control!
90G reef tank
Lights on 7 hours a day.
20 various snails
1 big 3" snail
2 sea urchins
1 Lawnmower blenny
sally lightfoot
coral banded shrimp
peppermint shrimp
25 assorted hermits
1 serpent star
1 sifting cucumber
1 sifting goby
Other noncleaning inhabitants
Corals
Anemones
2 damsels
2 clown
1 cardinal
2 dragonets
2 flame scallops
The LMB nips at the rock and glass but doesn't seem to want to take on the buffet of hair algae that's already there. The snails seem to stick to the glass or the sand but not the rock. The big snail and urchins move around the rock but only enough to knock everything over but not get rid of the algae. I've resorted to pulling it out by hand which is impossible on the back side of the reef rocks. All water tests come out great, temp is 76, everything seems to be happy including the algae based on how fast its growing!
I'm not sure what else to try? Any help would be great.

ecooper

Originally Posted by corsogirl
I think I've gotten all the little critters suggested on here and my hair algae is still getting out of control!
90G reef tank
Lights on 7 hours a day.
20 various snails
1 big 3" snail
2 sea urchins
1 Lawnmower blenny
sally lightfoot
coral banded shrimp
peppermint shrimp
25 assorted hermits
1 serpent star
1 sifting cucumber
1 sifting goby
Other noncleaning inhabitants
Corals
Anemones
2 damsels
2 clown
1 cardinal
2 dragonets
2 flame scallops
The LMB nips at the rock and glass but doesn't seem to want to take on the buffet of hair algae that's already there. The snails seem to stick to the glass or the sand but not the rock. The big snail and urchins move around the rock but only enough to knock everything over but not get rid of the algae. I've resorted to pulling it out by hand which is impossible on the back side of the reef rocks. All water tests come out great, temp is 76, everything seems to be happy including the algae based on how fast its growing!
I'm not sure what else to try? Any help would be great.
I just went through this. I couldn't figure out what was going on. My phosphates and nitrates were both at zero. Well, I figured it out.
Your hair algae is using all of your phosphates and/or nitrates and that's why they're showing up zero. I pulled all of the algae out by hand and the nitrates went up. I couldn't figure out why. Well, I tested my water. Sure enough, the filter on my RO unit was old (probably too many water changes run through it!!!) and my tap water was testing at 10 nitrates. There was the culprit!!!
Anyway, my aglae is now starting to dwindle rapidly.
I hope this helps!

skipperdz

Get A Stary Blenny! They Change Colors All The Time From Dark Brown To Speckled To Light Tan And Their Face Changes Color All The Time And When Hes Not Busy Eating Mysis He's Holepunching Your Algae!