Ideas on substrate

dixiechick

We got a new 150 gallon tank and are not sure which substrate would be best. We want something that looks good, but is easy to maintain. If you have any ideas we would love to hear them.

stacy

I'm sure that most people here will agree that LS is the best. Around 4-6 in. It looks good as well as benefits your tank.

jagnmeg99

I put in LS and THEN found this site and it seems to be the way to go, seems everyone with cc wants to convert to ls....all I can say is it has not caused us any probs., but we have only been at this 3 1/2 months. That is our opinion thats all.

dpittman

I have CC in my tank. It is a fact that a DSB is the way to go. I wish I would have but I did not know at the time. I also did not want to use 10-15% of my tank volume for sand. If you do decide to use CC look for "pooka shell" as it does not discolor like regular CC. Also use a real thin layer, just enough to cover the bottom of the tank. If you have not started go with a DSB. Vacumming the bottom of the tank sucks!

Read the posts from folks who are changing to LS from CC.....it is a pain after you have inhabitants in the tank.
I have one tank with cc and the other two with LS...will never do cc again. Do yourself a favor and start your tank out right with the LR and LS, you will be much happier in the long run.
Happy fishing

demosthenes

A DSB is the only real choice in SW aquariums these days, IMO at least, and after you have put CC in, it is a pain to switch, but still needed. I had to make the switch, and it was a lot of work, but it was well worth it. Use a mix of playsand, preferably Southdown, and LS, it is your best bet for success. HTH

ocellaris_keeper

Since a DSB sometimes looks like an ant farm I would suggest painting the lower 3" of the tank or using a piece of laminate.
the 3-4" DSB will be your filter.

dixiechick

Has anybody heard anything about aragonite? If so I would love to hear what you have to say. Good, Bad, anything at all.

fshhub

aragonite(not cc, but fine grained sand), IMO is the best choice for a dsb, however it is not always affordable to most of us, or even available, but if you can, i would use aragonite over a silica based sand
an d my vote is also for the dsb(also, if you have any inhabitants, as mentioned, it is much more difficult to make the change, which most do)
ps, welcome aboard, it is a great addiction, and this is a great source for info

dixiechick

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. It sounds like the aragonite is the way we should go. This is a great resource. Thanks for the advice.