identification (cajun man accent)

F

flukes

I recently bought some live rock from my LPS that had these leather-looking things on them. Any idea what they might be? Outlined in red. There is also something else that we found outlined in green (hard to see)

jonthefishguy

It looks to be a mollusk or some sort. I knew the exact name of them but can't think of it now. Anyways, filter feeder and harmless. Most don't survive so, no worries.

renogaw

the green thing is a cup coral.
the other things look like bases of kelp stalks that may have been growing off them in the ocean.

F

flukes

Jonthefishguy, I looked up “mollusk” and didn’t see (I know it is hard to see in the picture that I posted) anything that resembled what I have in my tank. This is some kind of “growth” on my rock it was there when I bought it and I have only had it for just a few weeks. I don’t know if it is dead or alive.

Renogaw, if it is cup corral is there anything that I need to know or do different to help it grow? What kind of care level do they require?
Thanks guys for helping out
and anyone else that wants to take a guess or confirm would be helpful too. I just want to meet the needs of my tank.

renogaw

i have tons of the cup corals (at least i think that's what they are called). they will open up and have clear/white tentacles. they are non photosynthetic, and will eat anything :) i don't generally feed them, they just grab food particles out of the water
if those red things retract, then yea, i guess they could be molusks or filter feeders, but if they are fibrous, and layered, they are kelp stalks. i have 3 or 4 of them.

dinki

Originally Posted by salty blues
identification (cajun man accent)
what's the deal with your title?
I wondered the same thing being from Louisiana also.

F

flukes

It is from Saturday night live, it was an old skit with Adam Sandler. Very funny
. I hope that I didn’t offend anyone

fallinapart

I think those red circled things in the middle are foot attachments of a bi-valve that has moved or got knocked off the rock.
Norman

dugger

If they dont open or close i would agree with fallinapart and I think that is a cup coral for sure, have some to.

salty blues

Originally Posted by Flukes
It is from Saturday night live, it was an old skit with Adam Sandler. Very funny
. I hope that I didn’t offend anyone

No offense taken. The amusing thing though is that stereotypical accent is way more French national than true Louisiana Cajun!

dinki

Originally Posted by salty blues
No offense taken. The amusing thing though is that stereotypical accent is way more French national than true Louisiana Cajun!
Salty, what part of Louisiana are you in? I'm a native and resident of Lafayette so I can attest to your statement above :)