Identification Please

gudies

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I have 4 Reef tanks, two 55 gallon, one 80 gallon and a 150 gallon. I found this guy on a clam I bought from an LFS, didn't see him until I got home. One of the 55 gallon tanks I am using for a QT. I have it isolated until I know what it is, can anyone help? I have had all my tanks up for almost two years. I just started buying from this site.
Thanks

gudies

Originally Posted by reefreak29
sorry got side tracked its an Oyster Drill, Cymatium aquatile . they drill into byvalves

So this is a bad guy then, correct?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by gudies
So this is a bad guy then, correct?
i would say yes but i would also like a second opinion before u flush it ,is there any noticable holes in your clams shell?

reefkprz

clam killer. you might want to notify whoever you bought the clam off that they might have problem.
not Cymatium aquatile though, they look more like mini conchs

reefreak29

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
clam killer. you might want to notify whoever you bought the clam off that they might have problem.
ty

gudies

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
not Cymatium aquatile though, they look more like mini conchs

This doesn't seem to have a shell, I used a butter knife to pry it off the side of my glass tank. It had a snail like appearance on the underside. It has those tentacles all over it.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by gudies
This doesn't seem to have a shell, I used a butter knife to pry it off the side of my glass tank. It had a snail like appearance on the underside. It has those tentacles all over it.
flush it.it feeds on bivalves shells

ophiura

Originally Posted by fedukeford
mabey a abalone?

IMO it is definitely an abalone, and shouldn't be too much of a problem. Similar to a snail. Genus is Haliotis. Do some google searches.

gudies

Originally Posted by mushroomss
yup looks like the abalones my lfs had,,, harmless!
Thank you all very much! I got a positive ID and it is an abalone!
Thanks again.