Identify black clownfish

zephyrlily

These babies in the lfs are listed only as 'Black African Clownfish'. The only one I come across online is Allard's clownfish (Amphiprion allardi) from east coast Africa. There is a Mauritian clownfish (Amphiprion chrysogaster) that resembles these, adults have a yellow underside. Anyone know what these are? Their face is yellow, their pectoral fins are yellow with black base or all yellow, the 2nd stripe runs over their lower dorsal fin and their tails are black with white edges.

gmann1139

Those are Saddlebacks, Amphiprion polymnus . I have one in my own tank, and I've found him to be a nice, calm addition, a clown without too much of the wiggling.

debbie

Interesting that your store has that name for them. My LFS calls them Barrier Reefs. I have one of these too and truly beautiful indeed.
It is definatley a saddleback, mine is with a false perc and they get along just great. Both are pretty small too.

dawman

Many retailers mislabel clowns as they either don`t know or were told that is what they are and don`t second guess it . This is why it would be easier if everything was sold with scientific names IMO.