Identify Please?

mblann1960

I'm new to this, so please forgive my ignorance.
Can anyone tell me what this is?
And is it ok to keep?
Here are some pics...the best I could get of it on my live rock.
It is a little larger than the button on your shirt.
There is only one.
Will it grow?
reproduce?
Thanks,
Mark

reefrunner

Looks like Aptasia, or Glass Anemone. Considered a nuissance. Not necessarily harmful, but they will spread quickly. Joe's juice will take care of it.

perfectdark

My first guess would be majano anemone, but IMO it kinda looks like a duncan too, which is a coral, which is a cool hitchiker...

harlikwin

majano, if you try to get to it and it draws up into the rock that'll give it away, but I've seen them before and they look just like that, and joes won't work on majanos

mblann1960

so I guess my question would be...should I get rid of it? There is only one...in a 30 gal.
And it's been there for about 8 weeks.
Also, I noticed "mcbdz" you are from Louisiana!
I'm from Monroe.
Thanks for the response!

mcbdz

Welcome neighbor. I live on the east side of Minden. You have several lfs in your area that are suppose to be good. That is also where the reef club is located, have you joined? I did, but have never been able to make anything. Wish wee had more in Shreveport/Bossier area.

mblann1960

guess I'm not familiar with the reef club. I'm new to the saltwater side of things.
I've had fresh water tanks with cichlids in it, but never saltwater fish.
Thanks for your help...and input!

Originally Posted by mcbdz
http:///forum/post/2587424

Welcome neighbor. I live on the east side of Minden. You have several lfs in your area that are suppose to be good. That is also where the reef club is located, have you joined? I did, but have never been able to make anything. Wish wee had more in Shreveport/Bossier area.
...and I'm in Haughton!!! Nice to see some neighbors here!

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by mblann1960
http:///forum/post/2587400
so I guess my question would be...should I get rid of it? There is only one...in a 30 gal.
And it's been there for about 8 weeks.
Also, I noticed "mcbdz" you are from Louisiana!
I'm from Monroe.
Thanks for the response!
I would get rid of it. It is a nuisance anemone.

heatheryjoy

I have one of those in my 75 gallon. It is really small and has not spread in the last few months. I'm not sure if my peppermint shrimp are keeping it pruned down or not though. I notice it will vanish for a week or so and then come back. But I have heard they can spread rather quickly, though that is not the case with the one in my tank.