Identify this please???

shoorty069

I didnt see it in the identification chart, can anyone help me, heres the picture...

Are they anemones or feather dusters? Therye all over my liverocks. That picture is of a piece of live rock the size of a quarter...
<3ryry

blemmy_guy

Its either feather dusters, Star polyps ( which i dont think it is) or its pest anenomie Aptaisia. But if i had to pick one it would be the Aptasia.
Todd

shoorty069

Pest anemones? are they bad. And Theres about atleast 300 around all my liverock, and they come in patches.
<3ryry

blitz99

they dont look like aptaisa, but are not star polyps either...
whatever they are, they likely arent good....

shoorty069

Grr. I FINALLY see something growning on my live rock other than peanut worms, get excited and now i find out they arent good. I want aquacultured rock with all the inverts and stuff next time...
<3ryry

zman1

Bring the rock closer to the glass and get another picture. If the section of the rock is only the size of a quarter. It's to hard to tell........
Don't get depressed until one of the resident experts IDs it and that won't be me....
and ReefNut would be one!!!
I can ID Aptasia, been through bouts of that and I think the picture isn't clear/large enough for any kind of positive ID.

shoorty069

IM going to try and take a few more pictures today. Theyre popping up everywhere. I sure hope they arent bad. They sway with the water flow and it almost looked like the closed up at night.
<3ryry

shoorty069

You know what, i just looked around the internet and looked at pictures of hydroids, i think thats what they are. There are probably 3 0r 400 of them in there. They are growing in patches. Are they bad?
<3ryry

reefnut

If they are in fact Hydroids, they are NOT good to have. They have a nasty sting and can injure corals and micro critters...

shoorty069

How do i get rid of them, im going to the petstore in an hour or so to bring back our hermit crab and starfish. The starfish eats everything and so does my hermit crab, as ive said in onther post, the big jerk ate my anemone. AN ANEMONE! i didnt think that was possible!
<3ryry

shoorty069

Oh, and for reference, to figure out if theyre hydroids. Theyre like clearish white. They are about the size of a size 12 font lowercase i with little hairs sticking out of the top. I am seeing more and more as the days go by. Either i just havent looked hard enough or theyre popping up overnight...

ryry

shoorty069

Im thinking about getting a racoon butterfly...i think thats what it is. My LFS owner said it eats the hydroids. I didnt want to get it yet because it was 35$ and i still havent gotten rid of my pesky hermit crab...
<3ryry

reefnut

I would be surprised if any fish would eat these... keep in mind there are different types of hydroids. The only way I found to get rid of them is by lightly feeding the tank and manually remove them. Key hole limpid are also said to eat them.

blemmy_guy

Shoorty069 said:
Im thinking about getting a racoon butterfly...i think thats what it is. My LFS owner said it eats the hydroids. I didnt want to get it yet because it was 35$ and i still havent gotten rid of my pesky hermit crab...
<3ryry[/QUOT Be carefull with the Butterfly, he will eat any worms in your tank, includeing your feather dusters that you want to keep! Especially the Copper Banded and Long nose Butterfly's . But there great to look at.!! Todd

shoorty069

The only worms i see in the tank are the peanut worms that come out at night. Question, do they even do anything?
<3ryry

reefnut

Originally Posted by Shoorty069
The only worms i see in the tank are the peanut worms that come out at night. Question, do they even do anything?
<3ryry
Peanut worms?? Yes they are benifitial... eating debris and such they (along with all scavengers that hitchhike in on LR) are an important part of the cleanup crew IMO.

shoorty069

Yea, next time im in the LFS, im getting that racoon. It was so nice looking. I absolutely love this place. The only problem we had with the fish wasnt even their fault. It was a certain hermit crab that ate their fish. Oh well. Im so happy this store opened up near us.
<3ryry