Identify??

sammyjoe

Got this piece of live rock yesterday because it's neat looking.It has two featherdusters on it living in the dead coral. Question is does anyone know what kind of sponge is also on this rock,or even if it is a sponge??

yosemite sam

If you're referring to the big dome with pores in the center of the photo, it appears to be the skeleton of a dead coral, most likely a Porites sp. coral.

sammyjoe

Really that sponge looking dome is dead coral?? I thought the dead coral was the brown plant looking thing on the right corner??

yosemite sam

Yes, it's a dead coral. The other part of the rock looks like another type of dead coral. It's kind of fuzzy, so hard to say what species exactly.
Do a search on the board for photos of Porites for a comparison with what you have.

shrimpi

ya the dome is a skeleton from a coral. the other thing in the pic may also be dead coral although its hard to tell.
you have to remember that there are LPS and SPS corals and that coral skeletons come in many shapes and configurations.
A sponge will look like... a sponge! kind of squishy looking usually or something- its hard to explain. but that dome is a hard calcium skeleton for sure. now, things may start to grow on it, just as if it was a piece of rock (kind of making it live rock at that point)= but its still DEAD coral.
There have been times where people have put WAAAAAY dead skeletons (like the dome one ) in thier tank and months later the coral came back to life. Usually thats only if the coral was 'recently thought to be deceased'. Im thinking you may have picked that out while it was dry seeing as its soooo white still.
In time it will be covered with coralline(hopefully) and stick some frags to it- it doesnt matter if its skeleton or rock- its a hard surface... but NOT a sponge!
Happy Reefing
Jess

sammyjoe

Here a few more pictures.I hope they are better ones.Whatever is on this rock I hope it will come alive again. They are however two feather dusters living inside the dead plant.