Identifying clownfishes... how?!

si12ius

I was wondering before I go buy a clownfish... is there any good articles on the net about them anywhere? I was just curious as the different types of clownfish and what makes them different between false and true.... how do you tell if there female or male? bump thanks.

aquaguy24

true perc clowns have thick black borders around the white stripes. and have no black outline on the first dorsel fin(the one close to the top of their head).False clowns have thin black borders around the white stripes and have a black outline on the first dorsel fin..they change --- when they mature...so they can be male or female..
True percula clowns can cost 2-3 times more then false clowns..my lfs sells false clowns for $8.99 and they sell true clowns for $29.99.

karenm

Would it matter if you got true or falce perculas if you didn't intend on breeding them? Do the false ones host?

vpotts28

Originally Posted by KarenM
Would it matter if you got true or falce perculas if you didn't intend on breeding them? Do the false ones host?
I believe the only differences between the two, is that the true percs are quite aggressive opposed to the false, and you would have an easier time breeding the false opposed to the true.

aquaguy24

its very hard to breed clownfishes..gettin the fish to mate is the easy part but keeping the eggs (fry) alive is the hard part..but the fry makes a healty meal for the other fish in ur tank....doesn't matter what u get true or false..its totally up to u..true perc are a little more agressive . if i didn't have my 2 true percs. i would get a pair of black and white false clowns..heres a pic of my true clowns and sixline wrasse..
both types of clowns host..but do well with or without hosting...